Any limitations to using windows with bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by budge9, Oct 20, 2007.

1. budge9 macrumors member

I mean is it exactly like using a windows computer so that for example, I can watch the ITV video archive on explorer unlike on safari??? Thanks!

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

It is a Windows pc at that point. Keep in mind that IE plugins, media players, etc, may still have to be d/l'd & installed.

3. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I have yet to figure out how to take a screen shot when using Windows on my Macbook.

4. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

viruses and all?

5. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

ABSOLUTELY.

6. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

yep, it wouldn't be a REAL windblows machine without them, now would it................hehehehe :D

The only comforting thought there is that you can always reboot into OS X and forget about them, or if need be, just erase the windblows partition and re-install it and start the cycle all over again :eek:

7. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well the obvious answer is, running Windows :p

Seriously though, the portion of your HD that is set aside for Windows will essentially be like any other PC. It will be open to viruses, to all of Windows' problems, etc. If you must use Windows for certain programs, it's probably best to use just those programs that then reboot back into OS X. IMHO, OS X is just so much prettier.

9. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

I don't really know what's going on in the Windows world, so what's the story on viruses with Vista? Has it improved?

10. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

The only ones I have found is because of some difference in apple hardware. Like Apple Keyboards don't have Print Screen and some other keys, also if an application requires you to press both the left and right mouse button at the same time. (which cannot be done on a mighty mouse) But if you plug in a PC USB Keyboard, and PC mouse you are usually fine. As for running programs you are perfectly fine. They will run just as well as a normal PC (Sometimes a bit better because if you get a cheapo PC they will use some crappy parts that doesn't have good drivers). Boot camps basiclly allows you to boot Windows and Provides drivers for the Mac Hardware. Othher then that it runs like a normal PC

11. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

yea it's improved alot.......there are now even more ways to make your peecee crash & burn :)

but for all the M$ hype about increased focus on security, I have YET to see anything that is better now than it was before.....

unless of course you include the more colorful and more fisher-price-looking 3D translucent dialog boxes that tell you your machine has crashed & needs to be restarted.........
    theys so purrrrty :D

12. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

The only real "limitation" I see is the fact that you have to rely on Apple for the specialized drivers.

13. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

Has anyone figured out how to take a screenshot in Windows?

14. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

I was wondering if anyone knows if we can put our windows partition onto an external hard drive?and run it from there.

on a windows machine you have to press "print Screen" other then that i dont know.

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

requirements
    and
    every PC has a prtscr key to take screenshot.

since your mac keyboard probably doesn't have that key
    try some freeware instead
    http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html
    http://www.freewarehome.com/index.html?http://www.freewarehome.com/Graphics/Screen_Capture_t.html