Any limits on the DVD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fixerman, Sep 11, 2009.

1. fixerman macrumors member

fixerman

I purchased a retail copy of Snow Leopard for my son's mac as soon as it was released. Installed and all fine. I have since bought a new iMac for myself and it came with Leopard but I can obtain a version of Snow Leopard for a nominal sum.

1/ Can I use the retail DVD to upgrade my iMac?

2/ If I go for the upgrade version for my iMac is it then only useable on my imac?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Please take this the right way and not the wrong way but all you had to do is use the search "Snow Leopard on Multiple Macs" and you would've found multiple threads. There are way too many of them to create yet another one. Still I'll answer your question. Technically you can use the up-to-date DVD on multiple Macs as well as the $29 DVD. Legally, it's against Apple's EULA as each DVD is licensed for one Mac. Only the $49 Family Pack is made for up to 5 installs.

3. fixerman thread starter macrumors member

fixerman

Thanks HLdan.

Sorry if I didn't quite understand the protocol. I'm fairly new to this forum and I'm getting on in years. No excuse really but I'm learning.

Thanks for your advice regarding the DVD. I will search further as you suggest.