Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
Anybody here use Logic Pro X? I bought it a few days ago and have been getting into it.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
I'll pick up Pro Tools eventually, but I really like Logic.

I did have a very odd problem with it on Saturday... googled around but didn't find anything related to my specific version of the problem. I have a Peavey VIP-1 amp, which has a USB output for recording. It's far from ideal (I'm getting a real interface next month), but for the time being, it's my only option.

Anyway, the first time it happened, I had unplugged the amp from the computer (I pulled the cord out of the amp), and strummed the guitar a couple of times to test the volume of the amp. Then Logic started making this super freakin' loud SQUEAL, like a feedback squeal. Nothing would stop it. Muted the speakers on the Mac, turned off the speakers, was still doing it. I finally quit Logic and it stopped (which is how I know it wasn't the amp).

Second time, the instant I pulled the cord out of the amp, it started doing it again. Again, I quit Logic and it stopped. But it was a DEAFENING squeal that hurt my ears and gave me a headache. Hell, my ears are STILL ringing from it.

I made a post about it to the Apple Discussion forums and got one of the most condescending replies I've ever gotten on a forum, basically calling me full of crap and saying I needed different hardware anyway (yeah, no sh--). Still, I hope this doesn't keep happening.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Your Peavey's USB connection is an audio source for the Mac and therefore Logic. It's probably a horrible idea to unplug an an active audio source when it's selected in Logic.

USB audio devices can be a little flaky, anyway. I've got an M-Audio M-Track Plus along with some Yamaha active monitors for listening. Shutting down and starting up the computer I always try to remember to turn the speakers off as the M-Track can put out some ugly noise at those times. Does the same thing on a Windows computer.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
Here's a question... is it possible in Logic to assign samples from multiple library instruments to your MIDI controller?

I have a little Akai 25-key midi controller (keyboard/pad combo)... pretty slick little device. I've been going through all of the Drum Machine library samples included in Logic looking for specific sounds for some rhythm tracks I want to make. But rarely do I find all the sounds I want in a single library. So for example, I may want a drum sound from one, and another sound from another.

Is this possible? Or do I need a second MIDI controller? Heck for that matter, is it a safe assumption that I could use a second MIDI controller if I wanted/needed?

Thanks.

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
I did that with Slate Drums (SSD4) and it works really well. But I've gone back to Pro Tools 12.5.1 and VEP5 with the Apogee Duet.

kayjprod

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2006
I'll pick up Pro Tools eventually, but I really like Logic.
Anyway, the first time it happened, I had unplugged the amp from the computer (I pulled the cord out of the amp), and strummed the guitar a couple of times to test the volume of the amp. Then Logic started making this super freakin' loud SQUEAL, like a feedback squeal. Nothing would stop it. Muted the speakers on the Mac, turned off the speakers, was still doing it. I finally quit Logic and it stopped (which is how I know it wasn't the amp).

Second time, the instant I pulled the cord out of the amp, it started doing it again. Again, I quit Logic and it stopped. But it was a DEAFENING squeal that hurt my ears and gave me a headache. Hell, my ears are STILL ringing from it.
(yeah, no sh--). Still, I hope this doesn't keep happening.

I suspect what you heard was feedback. When you removed the USB cable, Logic defaulted back to using the built in mic on a track record armed/input monitoring. (I've never seen this behaviour because I've never felt the need to disconnect an interface while running LPX...)

See if you get the same behaviour with headphones plugged in... but don't have them too close to your built in mic.

I would advise always muting when you plug/unplug anything audio to protect your monitors from potential damage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.