Any longboarders here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by carve, Jul 2, 2008.

1. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

Hello all! Just wondering if there are any longboarders here. I'm talking about skating, not surfing. If you do have a board, repost this except with your setup:

Board: Loaded Dervish flex 2

Trucks: Randal 180's

Wheels: Orangatang inheat

Bushings: Stock

Bearings: Bones Reds

What do you use it for? Cruising, light commuting, dancing, carving

2. bbbensen macrumors 6502

People still skate on longboards?

My dad used to in the 60's. Does that count?

3. carve thread starter macrumors 6502a

carve

Yuppers, people still longboard. I haven't ordered my board yet, im ordering it within the next couple of days. I just wanted to see if there were any other longboarders on this site.

4. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

I skate both long and short boards, my longboard setup is:

Z-Cult, Coffin Model deck - 42"

Grind King, Jay Adams trucks with lucky 95a bushings

Krytonics Hawaii K wheels 65mm 78a

Rush Titanium bearings

Madrid Flypaper

6x Hook Ups risers ;)

I LOVE this setup, it has an old school vibe but with modern gear. I've tried some different wheels; I have a set of Powell Bowl Bombers and Some ABEC 11 Stingers, but keep going back to the Kryptonics, smooth and fast.

5. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I replied in a really old thread like a month ago before I got my board. Nice to see another.

I finally got a Loaded Vanguard used for a good price, and it's in nice condition. Came with chargers and Lime Bigzigs.

I'm still a total noob but it's fun to cruise.

6. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

I actually got my first longboard about a month ago at the suggestion of one of my friends. I love snowboarding and have surfed before, but I was looking for something a bit more accessible during the summer. I ended up buying a Sector 9 complete to learn on before I buy anything too serious. My specs...

Deck: 46.0" L x 10.0" W x 32.75" WB
    Trucks: 10" Gullwing Charger Trucks / Black Powder Coat
    Wheels: 70mm/78a Nineball Wheels
    Bearings: Abec 5 Greaseball Bearings
    Hardware: Full Grip Tape w/ Die cut for logo, 1.5" Bolt Pack, Mini Risers

And I just use it to cruise. :)

7. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

i have a skate and surf clothing business and sometimes make longboards

the longboards i have i sell to others and have given one away to a sponsored surf contest as a prize for the winner...or they sit in storage but i have never had the urge to ride one of my longboards

in the old days, indys were the truck for everything including longboards (shows my age), but the randals and gullwings are supposed to help alleviate speed wobble better than a standard indy or krux 215 mm. truck

i prefer the stupid art of street skating and though i know it is the most dangerous form of all skating, it's a rush, especially on very narrow 7.5" inch decks and very hard wheels no larger than 52s

i think arbor and sector 9 longboards are great right off the shelf as they have pretty decent hardware (the only changes i would make to a sector 9 or arbor is to get a slightly harder durometer wheel and switch out the bushings and bearings to better ones like doh-doh's bushings and bones reds or swiss bearings)

actually, for street and vert boards, if i got a complete deck off the shelf, i would also switch out the bushings and bearings

every single truck i have used (thunder, indy, venture, and tensor) all work so much better with after-market bushings

i have also sold decks with royals but kept the stock bushings and left it up to the rider as some skaters are ok with stock bushings

8. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

Are those Orangatang wheels any good? I've heard a lot about them, but there impossible to get hold of in the UK at the moment. If you haven't seen the promo vid here you should!
    Orangatang slide

9. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

I wish I could do stuff like that. I have a long way to go if I want to get close to anything like that.

10. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

a slightly harder durometer wheel will give you the ability to slide, but too hard then the board can become dangerous

you wouldn't want to put ricta super crystals on them for instance unless you had a very specific purpose for them

OJ IIs can work for slides as well as 60 mm. mini logo (powell) wheels but they slide a little too much for most riders

11. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

Yep I've got some old Powell Cross Bones 95a wheels I use to practice slides, but as I'm not so good they have major flat spots and are very uncomfortable to ride.

12. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

one way to alleviate the flat spots is to ride switch foot and slide the opposite way and or ride the board backwards and slide

eventually the flat spots will go away as the wear becomes consistent

13. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Arbor Fleetwood 43"
    Bear Grizzly 184mm
    Abec11 Flywheels 90mm
    Bones Swiss Ceramics

I live "downtown" though I use that term very loosely; everything (food, work, school) is within boarding distance. :) I either walk, bike, or board 5 days a week. My car only moves on the weekends.

14. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Another thread revival. Just setup my new deck. I got a free piece of 3/4" cabinet birch and cut it out (48"). Sanded it smooth and clear varnished it. Rigged with 180 Randal II's, some abec 5's w/ 70mm kryptonic classics. Two strips of 2" tape w/ a 2" gap. It rides so good and is lighter to carry than my primary 54" board.

54" Summer Soulstick
    180 Randal II's w/ green bushings
    76 mm Abeb 11 Gumballs
    Builtin Bearings abec 7

My first longboard is about 8 or 10 yrs old;
    48" Big Daddy Nose Rider
    Grindking trucks w/ doh-doh's
    Angled risers for clearance and more turn
    some ebay no-name LB wheels w/ no offset and lame bearings

15. EricLongboards macrumors newbie

I love my Longboard, but I do need better stuff for it.
    64'' Custom made deck.
    Walmart everything else.
    Lol. It hits a speed of about 2 mph going down a 90 degree angle. :(
    Ordering new stuff for it today. I have about 200 to spend on it. What should I get? I do lots of cruising on other longboards.