Any lovers of jazz here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BROCK22, May 6, 2010.

1. BROCK22 macrumors newbie

BROCK22

Arturo Sandoval is possibly the greatest living virtuoso on jazz trumpet, and he has a new album coming out next week called "Time for Love". You should definitely listen to his samples on Amazon (http://amzn.to/ArtSndTL). Hope you guys like it!

2. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Sorry no jazz, country, country-rock, blues, oldies ect for me.

3. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

I like jazz. As a guitar I appreciate the complexity of it.

I really like Pat Metheny, but that's really the only jazz musician I know by name.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Do I love Jazz. Nope, but I do like it. Every once in a while I will put on a coltrane or Ella Fitzgerald..... I have been to a few Jazz clubs in my area which was actually a good time.

5. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Metheny is great...also check Al Di Meola, Jeff Beck and Jim Hall. Hall has an album with metheny which is great.

I love Jazz/fusion mostly and also other artists like Michael Camilo, John Patitucci, Jean-Luc Ponty, Hiromi Uehara, Return to Forever, Weather Report, etc.

Good music.

6. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

Thanks for the link! I'll listen to Jazz every once in a while (Monk, Coltrane, Miles). Really, anything except Country or Rap.

7. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I do enjoy jazz. Thanks for the info - I will check out that album on iTunes.

8. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Love Jazz from the 50's, 60's, and 70's. I've got a huge collection on LP and CD

9. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

In the early to mid 80s, I was a fan of Herbie Hancock's and Paul Hardcastle's more "pop crossover" style, and I eventually investigated their more jazzy material. Nice stuff. (Hancock's "Autodrive" and "Junku" and Hardcastle's "Moonhopper" and "Rainforest" are on my "essential" iPod playlist.)

One late night many moons ago, I caught a live studio performance on PBS or something by the Kim Pensyl Group. Also nice stuff.

As you can tell, I'm more into the piano and keyboard-centered type of jazz music, which I must admit is an extension of my main interest, electronic music. Extrapolating that further, I can also chill out to "smooth jazz" instrumentals (they remind me of melodic/progressive trance, without the TR-909 drum beats).

In fact, let's take that even further. When I was a young teenager in rural western Kentucky, I was able to pick up a radio station in Nashville TN which called itself "easy listening," and would listen to it for hours at a time during the late evening. Only later did I realize that most of their material was the oft-derided Muzak.

10. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Hancock is good and love his pop blend.

Ella ... no THAT kids is a darling. Sweet voice.
    Miles Davis, Chet Baker (a soro horn he played), Herb Alpert (talented beyond recognition in our time & VERY successful. I really love his classic House music cross-overs North On South Street & Jump Street), and a few others.

I still cannot forget that incredible Mac World performance of Wynton Marsalis!! I recorded that session and I'm forever keeping it.

In Jazz, the Trumpet has always been the most celebrated and enjoyed instrument above all others (Piano, Guitar, Drums, and mine the Alto Saxophone taking supporting rolls). Lately I've noticed a HUGE surgence of the Saxophone & now Trumpet showing up in House/Progressive House music and I'm loving it more.

1 specific part of Jazz which is becoming a dying art is Tap Dance ... very few people learn it, can do it well, or even opt to learn it in dance class - professional dance class.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I like old school jazz, more along the lines of swing.

12. goatless macrumors member

goatless

Not sure if it's the same swing, but I like mine through Charlie Parker and Charles Mingus, and T. Monk. Charlie for those fast swing-eights, and Charles and Monk for the mid-to-slower ones.

The big band swing era was great, though!

13. gfish31 macrumors regular

the Poogie Bell Band -- their album "get on the kit" is epic

14. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I too am a fan of old jazz from the 50's and before. Much of the songs made after are too disjointed and off beat for my taste much like how modern classical has no smooth flowing rhythm.

Edit: I've never been a huge fan of instrumentals only jazz I like some vocals in there.

15. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

I really like jazz, but try very hard not to be a jazz snob. I like lots of different types, from Miles Davis and to Herbie Hancock, from Bebop to Free Jazz, from Coltrane to Jazz Rap, even, and I don't like to define myself as listening to any specific type of Jazz. I think the versatility is one of the genre's greatest aspects.
    Of course there are also those people who know a bit about lots of jazz musicians and like to brag with how much they know. I try my best to stay away from those types. This kind of behaviour happens with most genres of music (just think about all those indie rock fans that are so in touch with their scene), but I think it's especially bad with jazz.
    To sum it up, yeah, I love Jazz.

16. AngryApple macrumors 6502

I'm in the jazz band at school, but I don't necessarily enjoy listening to it as much as I do playing it. Erm, well. Attempting. I'm awful at it.

17. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

How about Hancock's Headhunters? I find that enjoyable every time I put it on.

18. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

You should check out Tom Gaebel, you need to make sure you spell it that way otherwise you will get the rock artist Tom Gabel.

He is Swedish but is a very talented English Jazz singer. He is known as "Mr. Goodlife".

19. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Haven't heard of those guys, but I really loved Henry Connick Jr.
    I used to sing "You never know me when" to my unborn son in my girlfriends womb whenever he kicked, violently too, or moved around a lot. This soothed him so quickly and I'd say he'd go into a deep slumber due to it; worked EVERY time. Till this day he loves that song, though I don't play it often enough - its on cassette and no longer have a cassette player. It was an appropriate song too because knowing I had a son on the way my ways changed ~ yea I still party because I love to dance (sister does so professionally and finished 4yrs of Shaw Festival), but I've matured from being such a punk. So yeah Swing does have a small part of my soul.

Dude, as long as you play from your heart it'll always be good!! Remember that and you'll enjoy playing music more and soon you'll play through any mistakes and improve before you know it.

Shouldn't we begin to mention favorite compositions??

20. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I've heard that Headhunters is a must-have for Hancock fans, but I haven't yet taken the chance to hear it in its entirety. I have seen some live performances of tracks from that album on YouTube, though.

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I like jazz (and many other types of music). Anyway, I agree that Herbie Hancock is brilliant (haven't heard Headhunters yet), and Ella is simply transcedental. Last year I had the privilege to hear Marcus Miller (protege of Miles Davis) live at a stunning concert. Simply sublime.

Cheers

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Bill Evans and Dave Brubeck are wonderful, but I enjoy many others.

23. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

A guitar that can type? Heck a guitar that can use cognitive skills. Can I take you on tour? We'd make millions!!

24. yahya4k macrumors member

I prefer modern Jazz... although in most circles its not even referred to as Jazz anymore...but now its called Acid Jazz, Chillout Jazz, Neo Soul or Jazz Funk... which all comes under the confusing term of Lounge.

25. unid macrumors regular