Any luck upgrading early to Verizon iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rpearlberg, Apr 12, 2011.

  1. rpearlberg macrumors 6502a

    May 22, 2010
    My wife isn't due for an upgrade until September. Has anyone been able to upgrade (not at full price) this early?
  2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem


    Feb 19, 2005
    "This early", how early?
    I'm not due for an upgrade until October 2011 and they offered me an upgrade last month. I don't know why but I am not yet convinced that I want a VZW iPhone so I passed.
  3. macingman macrumors 68020


    Jan 2, 2011
    You should be fine for an upgrade, go to a Verizon store or call up/go online and look at your options.
  4. jonter19 macrumors member

    Jan 17, 2011
    Yeah, I'd like to know too.

    My Verizon contract is up in August and I'm so ready to throw this piece of junk Android phone out the window. I was looking forward to upgrading to an iPhone 5 in June, but it's looking more and more like that won't happen.
  5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere


    Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
  6. LeahM macrumors 6502a


    Mar 18, 2008
  7. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

    May 22, 2010
    great idea!! i just wanted to know if anyone else has had any luck with this...
  8. twentytwo22 macrumors regular

    Jul 13, 2010
    I got my upgrade bumped up a month. Not as long as you are talking about, but it is something. Just told them my last phone from them was completely broken down and hardly working and I was disappointed in it, something like that.
  9. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

    Aug 12, 2007
    Hollywood, California
    If she's due an upgrade in September and you are part of the NE2 program, check your account online I bet it states you are eligible now. How do I know? Well, I'm not due an upgrade until October, I needed a new phone and decided to pay retail on the VZW iPhone. I did everything to get them to budge on bumping my upgrade up. They wouldn't. Just today I logged in and there it is: Upgrade eligible.

    Am I upset? A little. I was told without question that I could NOT upgrade until October 11th and not one day sooner. Even with our NE2 program. Ok, I'll abide by the rules, honor our contract and eat the cost of retail, that's my problem. Now I'm being told that since we were enrolled in the NE2 program, I was eligible 6 months early. So, guess I could've saved $400. I feel almost as if I was lied to intentionally when they could have simply told me that if I had waited 60 days, I could have saved that money.

    Only reason, I'm not furious, is I guess if the new version of the iPhone is worth an upgrade to (LTE) then I can get it and sell this phone. Or just sit on the upgrade until that time. Still, $400 is $400. Not sure how I feel about this. Just found this out about 20 minutes ago after logging into our account for a miscellaneous reason. I do feel a little nauseous though.
  10. saberahul macrumors 68040

    Nov 6, 2008
    NE2 --> dead. Hmm... did you mention that in your post? Because I didn't read it.
  11. LightSpeed1 macrumors 6502a


    Jul 13, 2009
    Washington D.C.
    I have a friend that works for Verizon, and he says that they are less likely to budge after the release of the iPhone. He also said that even in the system It doesn't allow them to switch the code to allow 2 year pricing. So if you have any chance at all it will be with the call center.
  12. Krevnik macrumors 68040


    Sep 8, 2003
    People will still be able to use their existing credits. I managed to get one by signing up with Verizon before it was officially killed. You just won't get a new credit by entering a new contract.
  13. niclic06 macrumors newbie

    Apr 13, 2011
    I checked my eligibility today online and it said they that I was eligible to upgrade, however since my actual date isn't until December, i wouldn't receive the extra $30 off. Fine, seeing that I really want the iPhone, I decided to do it. Then I realized they wouldn't allow me to upgrade both lines on my family share!! I called them up to see why this was and they said that they are only allowed to do it on the primary line. After some prodding, the CSR said the agreement with Apple prohibits them from upgrading the secondary line early. Its pretty frustrating that they would do it for one line and not the other. I guess I'll have to keep trying!!
  14. niclic06 macrumors newbie

    Apr 13, 2011
    I forgot to add, the CSR I talked to said they would consider upgrading the second line early as long as it wasn't the iPhone!
  15. chris2k5, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  16. Indy500fan1977 macrumors newbie

    Nov 5, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Early Upgrade

    I had to upgrade my old phone due to starting a new job next week so I opted for the iPhone. I was eligible for early upgrade (contract exp. on my line in Oct.). I had no issues at all w/ the upgrade.

    Note: Not to dispute what niclic06 said, but my line was a secondary line. I wasn't able to get the extra $30 off, but b/c I was getting an iPhone, I was able to get the 20$ activation waived.
  17. niclic06 macrumors newbie

    Apr 13, 2011
    Did it offer you the option to upgrade online, or did you have to call and talk to a rep?
  18. jefferiesma macrumors newbie

    Aug 6, 2011
    early upgrade

    Im not up for a upgrade until july 2012 I called today because my droid 2 was acting odd calling people by its self and deleting everything this is my second replacement so i called verizon I WAS ON THE PHONE FOR 5 MIN and they gave me a early upgrade :) i just explained to him that i could not keep calling and i didn't trust that the new phone was going to work. So he said let me go ahead and upgrade you early... THATS GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE i will be receiving my new iphone 4 wednesday!!!
  19. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

    Jan 30, 2009
    New York
    for the past few months my verizon account said i was not eligible for an upgrade until 4/2/12. then a few days ago it said i was eligible for an upgrade at a discounted price right now, but if i wait till 4/2/12 i would receive a loyalty discount. ive got an iphone 4 so i was planning on skipping this years for next years in hopes of LTE, but im not sure i can just hold on to my upgrade while a new iphone comes out in the fall. unless its a major update i am going to do my best to try and skip it

Share This Page