Any luck with car head units

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adwhite, Jul 11, 2008.

1. adwhite macrumors newbie

I ordered my 16G and am now questioning if I jumped the gun. Being able to plug in the 30pin cable and charge/play music is one of the top reasons I bought one.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. pcorrado macrumors regular

I have an Alpine unit with the full speed ipod support - it will play music off the iphone 3g but will not charge

4. adwhite thread starter macrumors newbie

Any issues with calls? what model do u have, if u remember. Would be reaaaally nice to have a one cable connection for charging and playing. Does the alpine control the phone or do u run off the phone. Thanks

5. Fuchal macrumors 68020

6. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

my kenwood does everything charge, play music, car phone deal.:cool:

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

mine has once cable for chargning playing. runs off the touch itself

8. adwhite thread starter macrumors newbie

What kenwood do you have? Thats what I've been looking at.

9. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

It charges the iPhone 3G?

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

why wouldnt it if it charges the first iphone

11. bmonster macrumors member

Same problem here. My car charged the first gen iPhone fine but when i plug in my new one it says will not charge.

I don't know what kind it is, it is hard wired and uses the 30 pin connector in the glovebox

12. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Mine won't charge the iPhone 3G. So no idea why it wont.

13. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

its an older model with the ipod adapter, pretty sure its discontinued :( although i am looking to get an upgrade for my type-s:cool: maybe a double din:rolleyes:

14. adwhite thread starter macrumors newbie

If you find any decks that work like they should post up some model numbers. Thanks!

15. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

will do only i have first gen so it wouldn't be accurate for 3g users

16. james2538 macrumors member

I had a DICE adapter for my BMW which worked great for my 1st Gen iPhone. It only plays music and doesn't charge with the iPhone 3G.

17. pcorrado macrumors regular

My unit is an Alpine CDA-9883 i believe - the ipod is controlled through the head unit and work awesome with bluetooth - wired is a bit tricky to set up but works once you know the trick.

I really wish it charged the 3g though, especially now that the battery hurts quite a bit with 3g and even the slightest GPS

18. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

I got the new Belkin car kit with Clear Scan and it charges my 1st gen iPhone while it plays the audio just fine. Of course, there are pockets of static, but those are easily overcome by placing my hand near my iPhone. Yes, it appears that sometimes I am another antenna for my iPhone :eek: I just hope that it will perform as well once I get my iPhone 3G tomorrow.

HawaiiMacAddict

19. adwhite thread starter macrumors newbie

Well after reading some threads it sounds like the issue is the USB/firewire charging. Everything I've read says that firewire was turned off/removed and that the 3G's are all USB based charging. With that, has anyone tried hooking up thier 3G to the USB plug on their deck and seeing what happens? Does it charge? Can the deck control the phone or do u use the phone to control your music. Apple should have thought about this a bit more as alot of people have expensive accesories that are now worthless for their phone. I already returned my phone because of this

20. jazzguitar macrumors newbie

My Pioneer DEH-5000UB works great with my iPhone 3G, it even charges it too!

21. JeffDM macrumors 6502a

Having something that works with a Touch or first gen iPhone is no indicator of whether it works in the 3G version. As far as I can tell, Apple wants us to buy new equipment every couple generations of devices. One part that I do know is that they get a little bit of royalties for every authorized iPod dock connector device sold.

22. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

some good news...

For the DICE owners, apparently there's a new cable connector to handle the usb only power option to the 3G phone that will be out in the next few months.

I've written to Apple requesting an adaptor. It's tough to be in your car and have a connection that both provided a nice direct music CD quality option along with charging and then to find out the charging is now out.

I was on a 3.5 hour drive today. As the phone did not have a full charge when i started, I was playing the ipod most of the way. I came close to running the battery down. (I keep push, location services and wifi off while I did.)

But this is not the solution obviously. Apple should provide an adaptor so we can still play the music directly to our head units and also charge the bloody thing. I already wrote to Apple on it.

Using the Peripheral Electronics unit similar to DICE in that one part connects to the head unit behind the dash of my car, then plugs into a little box where another cable runs from there to the ipod connector itself.

Gotta be a simple solution here.

23. cambridge1807 macrumors member

Good to hear that DICE is getting an adapter as I'd also like to be able to charge my iPhone in the car.

24. adwhite thread starter macrumors newbie

Does the deck control the phone or visa versa? Sounds me that similarly to all other ipod/phone accesories some manufacturers use the firewire and others the USB pin for charging. Apple really should have standardized their products and liscences much better than they decided to.