Any luck with ipevo PoV webcam on macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by makaddikt, Dec 16, 2008.

1. makaddikt macrumors newbie

Hi guys. New to forums, although I lurk a lot and have learned a lot.

I need a small external webcam to use primarily with cataloging my DL2 library (Delicious Library). I have a MacBook and iMac, both with built-in iSight, but it's too much trouble to bring every book, CD, DVD, game, etc. to the computer.

I LOVE the new PoV from ipevo...esp. the macro function. It would be perfect. Unfortunately, it isn't Mac compatible out of the box. It does support XP and Vista. I wondered if anyone had used it successfully, maybe with the macam driver or something similar? I've purchased several cams by Logitech, Macally, and others and had to take them all back so far.

I wrote the ipevo guys, and they said that "real" mac support would be coming soon, probably in the first quarter of '09 with an upgraded camera, auto-focus, and 2mp camera. I suppose with that coming, I probably should just wait - :rolleyes: - but I'm about to move, and really wanted to log everything as I was packing, since it would all be passing thru my hands at that time.

The guy from ipevo said they've had reports of Mac users using the PoV successfully with some 3rd party drivers, but he couldn't tell me which one(s) since it isn't officially supported. So....that's why I'm checking with the pros here :)

Thanks for any help!

2. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

Hey I just got one of these cam's has anyone had any luck?

Thanks,
    Danny

3. makaddikt, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013

makaddikt thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Danny,
    I got mine probably a year or so ago. I love it. Works like a champ with my MacBook and MacBook Pro. I added books, CD's, tools, electronics, and more to my Delicious Library. I haven't upgraded to v3 yet, but I'm probably going to since I'll have everything synced on my iPad. Enjoy!

Edit: By the way, it does have Mac support now, so no need for 3rd party drivers.

4. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

Really?

Thats great Makaddit!
    When did it get mac support?
    Where can I get the driver?

Are we talking about the same camera?

This is the one I am referring to and was unable to get it to work.
    http://support.ipevo.com/support/qa/POV_USB_Camera

When I just plugged it into my rMBP Software OS X 10.8.4 it did not show up as input for video for any apps.

The only success I had was getting it to work as a microphone but no video.

----------

Have you tried to use it with Messages or Skype by any chance?