Any luck with SATA3 SSD in optibay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by L0s7man, Aug 14, 2011.

1. L0s7man macrumors 6502

So, it seems that after some hardware revisions the 13" MBP can be equipped with SATA3 SSD in optibay. However, even if you're "lucky" enough to have SATA3 optibay in 15" MBP, SATA3 SSD won't work at all; at least in most laptops.

Is there anyone around who successfully tried installing SATA3 SSD in optibay?

I was thinking about getting 15" MBP, but only if I can get 2 SSDs in Raid 0... OWC had benchmarks on RAID 0 13" MBP and they get 1GB/s read/write... that's rather awesome.

2. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

Is there anything you do that require such sequential read/write times? Because in a general sense, RAID 0 doesn't improve every day performance (access times/latency and 4-8k read/writes) in any way.

3. L0s7man thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, RAID0 isn't that important... what matters is SATA3 SSD in optibay; but once I got that there is no reason not to run RAID0 (SSDs are rather reliable). Another option would be to have one drive for Windows and one drive for Mac OS.

I often process big files (1-4GB each) and often search them for simple stuff (e.g. seeking to a specific location); with fast CPU I think I could use 1GB/s. Would be nice to run a command and get instant results!