Any Mac and Windows 64-bit friendly multi-functional print server?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, May 7, 2011.

1. hajime, May 7, 2011
    Last edited: May 7, 2011

hajime macrumors 68040

Hello. Looks like I need a multi-functional wireless print server. On the internet, I read that some of the servers are difficult to set up. Others are not compatible with the Mac nor the 64-bit version of Windows. Any recommended product that is both Mac and Windows 64-bit friendly? Trentnet's support told me that their print servers are not compatible with 64-bit version of Windows. Linksys told me that their print server has only 1 USB port. I need 2-3 ports. Any experience with the D-Link DPR-1260?

Details of my computers and printers:

I have a MBP running Snow Leopard and Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit. I also have a desktop PC running Vista Ultimate SP2 64-bit. I have the Brother HL-21 monochrome laser printer and a HP Officejet Pro L7590 All-in-one color printer. To share the printers, I just plug and unplug the usb cables manually.

The iPad 2 will arrive soon. I hope that my computers and the iPad 2 could share the two printers. Please note that I also want to use the scanner feature of the L7590.

Thanks.

2. jtara macrumors 65816

Doesn't OSX have built-in printer sharing? As well as Windows? Why not just pick one of the systems and leave the printers connected to it?

I have a Linux system (Kubuntu 11.04) and the included CUPS server works just fine either hard-wired or wirelessly from my MacBook or iPhone/iPod using AirPrint.

Don't understand how a print server could be "64-bit friendly" or not. All that should matter is that it implements IPP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Printing_Protocol

The referenced Wikipedia article claims compatibility with CUPS (Linux, OSX), Novell, and Windows starting with Windows 2000.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

The following is what Trendnet support told me. Perhaps I misunderstood what he said? Maybe "not supported" does not mean "not compatible"?

"We do have print servers designed for multifunction printers, but they are designed for Windows 32-bit operating systems. 64-bit versions are not supported. There is no Mac support."

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

The following is what the IT Director at Trendnet told me. Perhaps I misunderstood what he said? Maybe "not supported" does not mean "not compatible"?

"We do have print servers designed for multifunction printers, but they are designed for Windows 32-bit operating systems. 64-bit versions are not supported. There is no Mac support."