Any Mac geeks out there that can help with a open source software?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tyrannopalmer, Jan 26, 2012.

1. tyrannopalmer macrumors newbie

I am still a bit new to the whole mac world and I have managed through trial and error to install a program for animation. I installed it through mac's homebrew in the terminal. The problem is when it starts up, it crashes with a error. I contacted on the sites forum about this issue and currently there aren't any knowledgeable mac users that can help. That is why I am here.

The program I am trying to run is synfig studio, a program for animation. I do have pencil 2D but unfortunately that isn't enough to suffice for the project I am working on. And I am not a fan of flash or toon boom. Honestly I bought the mac for my expert animation needs but I am thinking linux now with all this frustration.

If anyone is kind enough to help a student animator in solving this problem, please do, I would be so thankful and the community at synfig would be too.

The error I am receiving when I start up in the terminal is :

synfig studio -- starting up application...

synfig(1378) [13:38:14] info: Loading modules from /usr/local/Cellar/synfig/0.63.03/etc/synfig_modules.cfg

(synfigstudio:1378): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: Object class gtkmm__CustomObject_N6studio15ValueBase_EntryE doesn't implement property 'editing-canceled' from interface 'GtkCellEditable'
    synfigstudio(1378,0x7fff7e491960) malloc: *** error for object 0x10bc5b168: pointer being freed was not allocated
    *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
    Abort trap: 6

I am running Mac OS 10.7 lion on a macbookpro

Thank you all!

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Why do you need terminal?

Download Apple Disk Image version.

There are plenty of animation softwares for Mac. Search Macupdate.com and Mac App Store.

3. tyrannopalmer thread starter macrumors newbie

The apple disk image version doesn't work. It fails to install. I spent days installing it by different methods. Macports, homebrew, etc And as for what the app store offers. They do not have a program for "professional or film quality animation". What they offer is Toon Boom based and that is like flash.