Any Mac I can put this IDE LED light into?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Jan 11, 2015.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I pulled this three-prong IDE LED light from an external drive enclosure. I thought it would be cool to stick it inside of some old Mac and maybe let it poke out from behind a fan or some opening.

I know I could easily stick this in a Windows PC that has those prongs right on the board, but is there an old Mac I can put this inside of? I don't want to do any rewiring, although it DOES seem as though Macs don't have these prongs right on the motherboard.

Here is the device:

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

What exactly is that? Where does it plug into? Does it plug into an IDE port? Is it a hard drive indicator light?

----------

Oh so it looks like that plugs into a special connector on the mobo for lights. I don't know of any mac that has those ports.

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I can't recall any Mac that had any kind of HDD activity light. Many of your old Mac users would enable an extension or control panel that used a little drive icon or pixel in the upper left of the screen to indicate drive activity

4. bse5150 macrumors 6502

bse5150

Most hard drives have a couple of pins for attaching an activity LED.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You could put in it one of my Macs! ;)

6. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Whoops---I forgot to mention that it's a normal, blue, LED light. It's not a blinking activity light---rather, it illuminates to show that the external enclosure has been switched on.

----------

I forget to mention that it's NOT an activity light, it is just a normal LED. That's what I was thinking---I hadn't seen any common prongs in my Macs and was wondering if they were just in some odd place (or if it HAS to be on the motherboard).

----------

The only other pins I see on an IDE hard drive are reserved for the Master, Slave, etc. selectors (unless those also work for LEDs).

7. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Quantum Prodrive LPS has an LED that plugs directly into the hard drive.
    Quantum Fireball has an led in the middle of the logic board.

----------

I think most hard drives actually don't... only the old ones like the Quantums. The Quantum Prodrive LPS has an LED plug on the front, for a yellow LED.

----------

Well in that case just connect the LED to the power source.

8. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

In what way? I'm not looking to do any re-wiring; if so, I'd rather get better lights.

9. weckart macrumors 68040

Blinkenlights despoil any computer. Don't do it.

10. bse5150 macrumors 6502

bse5150

The Quadra 700 had an activity light. Maybe some other 68k machines as well.