Any Mac Pro Whispers for Sept 9th?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by scouser75, Sep 2, 2009.

  1. scouser75 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2008
    #1
    Guys, as you may know I'm about to dive in and get myself a spanking new Mac Pro. But before I do so I'm going to hold out till after the event on the 9th just in case Apple decide to update their Mac Pro line up... or even reduce the price a tad!

    In the mean time, I was wondering if anyone had heard of any rumours or whispers about Apple doing such a thing? And if I were to get lucky and they did either of the 2 - or both :) then would they implement it pretty much straight away?

    Fingers crossed :D
     
  2. peskaa macrumors 68020

    peskaa

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2008
    Location:
    London, UK
  3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

    rhett7660

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2008
    Location:
    Sunny, Southern California
    #3
    I would think they will be updated sometime early next year if they are updated. Or when the next line of intel zeon chips come out.
     
  4. gugucom macrumors 68020

    gugucom

    Joined:
    May 21, 2009
    Location:
    Munich, Germany
    #4
    Yup, the general thinking is that Apple may go for the Gulftown 6 core CPUs as their next big thing. As it stands they could only introduce a speed bump to 3,33 GHz with W5590. They have never done that on the Mac Pro though. Hence most people thinking that no silent product care will happen. There are also signs that Apple has massively reduced resources dedicated to desktop and particularly Mac Pro. They certainly are focussing their development effort on mobile stuff and particularly iPhone. Any excess they have will be on the tablet introduction.
     
  5. netdog macrumors 603

    netdog

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
  6. southerndoc macrumors 65816

    southerndoc

    Joined:
    May 15, 2006
    Location:
    USA
    #6
    Think different.
     
  7. ManiG macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2009
    #7
    This post prompted me to do a quick google search of Gulftown. Turns out that it will launch as an X58 chipset CPU ... hopefully this means that those of us with Nehalem MP's will be able to upgrade our CPUs with these newer 6-core processors. Fingers crossed ...
     
  8. Transporteur macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #8
    Considering Apples support for further generation Mac Pros, i wouldn't be too optimistic.
     
  9. ManiG macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2009
    #9
    Luckily, this has less to do with Apple supporting something, and more to do with Intel's hardware compatibility.
     
  10. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

    Unspoken Demise

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2009
    Location:
    >9,000
    #10
    Think logically.
     
  11. gugucom macrumors 68020

    gugucom

    Joined:
    May 21, 2009
    Location:
    Munich, Germany
    #11
    I am with Transporteur on this issue. Almost every manufacturer will usually develop his firmware for maximum capability within the Intel range of compatible components, except Apple. Good example is their introduction of the Xeon die shrink from 60 to 45 nm. Apple prohibited the x52xx/x54xx CPUs in their old 2006/2007 model because the firmware wasn't fit to run the more modern chips. 2008 firmware was a completely different approach with EFI64 which wasn't backwards compatible with the x51xx/x53xx chips of the earlier models.

    Some people think that Apple does it to reduce complexity costs which is clever but not very helpfull for the users. So the hope that the 2009 Nehalem logic board EFI will cope with Gulftowns is very small.
     
  12. Jarman74 macrumors regular

    Jarman74

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2009
    #12
    I'm in the same boat as you, but I don't believe it will happen :(

    Btw, I will keep holding out until the release of 10.6.1 just to be on the safe side.
     
  13. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #13
    There is a 99.99999999999999999999% chance that they will NOT make any announcements regarding anything other than iPods at the event on Sept. 9th. If you want to see about a price drop or possible enhancements (very unlikely that there would be a redesign as the MP just got a refresh not too long ago) then you will need to wait and Apple will likely hold an event in October/November where they might announce some slight changes or price adjustments. If you don't want to wait until then just buy it now, and be happy that you were able to use the machine. If you want to wait until fall/winter for an announcement then you should do that.
     
  14. southerndoc macrumors 65816

    southerndoc

    Joined:
    May 15, 2006
    Location:
    USA
    #14
    Some people use that argument to criticize our spending excess money on a computer that could be purchased much cheaper.

    (Disclaimer: I'm not defending the cheapness of Windows computers. I think you get what you pay for. I'm an avid Mac fanatic, and just mentioned the think different slogan to tease.)
     
  15. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2008
    #15
    Thanks for all the replies guys :)

    Well, I remember when I bought my Power Mac G5 all those years back. I bought it in September and then within 4 weeks they bought out a new more powerful set of Power Macs :rolleyes: But because I was within my 28 day money back guarantee period they swapped my old one for a new model :D

    So will wait until the 9th - if nothing by end of that week I'll go and order my Octo and IF anything else happens within the 28 day period I can act on it :D
     
  16. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #16
    If not mistaken, the return period is 14 days.
     
  17. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #17
    You might as well buy it now and not wait. They are not going to announce anything on the 9th.. it is a MUSIC event for iPods, not an unveiling for new mac pros.
     
  18. AZREOSpecialist macrumors 68000

    AZREOSpecialist

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2009
    #18
    If you don't want to wait for Apple, get a Mac Pro Quad and upgrade it to a 3.32 GHz Xeon or Core i7 Extreme part. You will have a machine faster than anything Apple produces today (unless you get the 8-core and replace those Xeons with 3.32 GHz parts). I did the upgrade and it's quite easy on the Quad, more difficult on the 8-core.
     
  19. peskaa macrumors 68020

    peskaa

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2008
    Location:
    London, UK
    #19
    Release schedules have changed since the PPC days. Apple have said this is an iPod/Media event, and that is what it will be. There'll be no update in September.
     
  20. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2008
    #20

    Fair do's :)

    If no update then maybe / hopefully a price reduction?!?!?!?

    AZREO - I am the most IT illiterate guy you could come across. I couldn't even dream of doing such an upgrade myself :eek: Anyone in London fancy giving me a hand with this?
     
  21. gugucom macrumors 68020

    gugucom

    Joined:
    May 21, 2009
    Location:
    Munich, Germany
    #21
    If you happen to visit Octoberfest, bring your PM and I will lend you a hand. ;)
     
  22. dissolve macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2009
    #22
    I know it's a HUGE long shot, but if blu-ray support is added to iTunes 9, maybe we'd see a BTO option for new drives in the mac pro. That's about my only guess if there were to be any sort of update.
     
  23. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2008
    #23
    Dissolve - Now blue ray would be a positive thing :)

    gugucom - after all the beer you'll have had you'd find it difficult handling yourself let alone givng anyone else a hand ;) But thanks for the offer :)
     

Share This Page