Any Mac Users' Yahoo Web Mail Hacked?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ChocolateApple, Jun 26, 2010.

1. ChocolateApple macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

This has never happened to me since owning a Mac, so I hope to get some help here.

I was checking my junk mail account' which is a Yahoo web account, when I noticed non-junk from friends asking why I've been sending them an odd email several days in a row.

I immediately ran to my Yahoo account on the computer (Mac Pro) and noticed the emails had been sent to my entire Yahoo web contacts list. I tried deleting the account, but received an error.

Since it's a throw-away account, I deleted ALL email messages, trash, spam, sent, etc. I then deleted ALL contacts and changed the account password as well as other web passwords, especially financial ones.

I did remember however that after a Snow Leopard disaster months ago, I reformatted my computer. I don't recall reinstalling the Norton antivirus, so I reinstalled it again tonight.

That said, most research on this was from a Windows perspective or dated articles. I'd like to know whether this has happened to a MAC user, and what your suggestion would be.

Thank you.

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

You don't need to have "hacked" your computer in order to gain access to your e-mail account. Your computer most likely has nothing to do with it. Rather, it was probably a fairly easy to guess password. Changing the password on the e-mail account should be enough (and on any other accounts that use the same password).

3. Jethrotoe macrumors regular

Right, your info is up on the yahoo server. That's what got hacked.
    Let yahoo know also. If this happened to you it prob. happened to someone else. As a matter of fact I just got e-mails from a few friends that have AOL accounts that say they too got hacked and e-mails were sent to all their contacts. I got one of them. This is prob. a coincidence but it could be a wide spread thing and it happens every day.

Of course check your system out but also don't download (if you do) your e-mail to your machine. Leave it up on the server and don't click on any attachments!

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 my AIM got hacked which is odd cause the password is not even close to being easy to guess. I just simply changed it.

Actually I have the feeling maybe a malware got ahold of it because everyone who logged into my friends lappy had their AIM name sending out spam too lol. (Only 5 of us used it, and all 5 got hacked). Its no big deal, just change the password.