Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sundance2007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
How do you drag and drop bookmarks to the bookmark folder. With the PC and Linux version I can drag the url from the address bar to the bookmark folder and put the url where ever I want within the folder. With the Mac version when I try this the bookmark folder never opens so I can't place the bookmark where I want, I can only select add bookmark and it goes to the bottom.

How do I place the bookmarks where I want them?

Thanks

skwij

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2006
Belleville, ON, Canada
HRMPH, I never knew that about the PC version. I've always just used the Organise Bookmarks dropdown for this. I may have an extension that adds this, though.

EDIT: Yep, the Add Bookmark Here extension.

The other BIG beef is the contextual menu "option" or lack thereof. There's NO WAY to right click and select "open in new tab" from the bookmarks dropdown. Just from the toolbar.

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
I use camino for no reason at all. It seems to use less resources than firefox...but that probably isn't true at all.

I like to think that it does.

pjrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
It doesn't look like anybody has given you the answer:

If you want to add a bookmark for the site you're viewing, drag the favicon (the image next to the URL) into the bookmarks sidebar which can be opened using Cmd B

Re-arranging is done in the normal way by dragging the bookmarks about.

Hope this helps :)

As for the browser wars. I use Opera, Safari and Firefox, and I prefer Firefox for the extensions. The opera, then Safari.

Sundance2007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
Exclusively. It's my favorite browser on any OS.

I second that. With all the addons and extentions I don't see how Safari could come close. I love Foxmarks, no matter what computer I'm on, my Linux box, my PC or my Mac I have all my bookmarks right there with me ......Can Safari do that?

Sundance2007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
It doesn't look like anybody has given you the answer:

As for the browser wars. I use Opera, Safari and Firefox, and I prefer Firefox for the extensions. The opera, then Safari.

Thanks, Right On, that was what I was looking for. And I agree, it's the extensions. Safari may be great as a browser but I just can't see it offering all that Firefox offer or I would have heard about it before. I'm sure it is tops if all you have is a Mac but if you have PC, Linux and Mac as I do you just can't beat FF with it cross platform versions. I have tried them all (Safari only recently) and I keep coming back to FF.

Again Thanks, one step closer to understanding my Mac.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
What are the major differences between Camino and Firefox, if any?

Camino doesnt support addons like firefox does, but it's better integrated with OS X and starts a hell of a lot faster. And, it looks prettier.

ZenErik

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Massachusetts
Camino doesnt support addons like firefox does, but it's better integrated with OS X and starts a hell of a lot faster. And, it looks prettier.
Thanks. I'm just debating on which browser I want to use. I'm new to Mac's, unless you count my mom's really old Power Mac from 12 years ago. I use Firefox on my Compaq laptop, but I'm not sure which to use for Mac. I don't really use any of the add ons; so, Camino might be better for me.

SubaruNation555

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
Virginia, USA
I used Camino on my old PowerBook G4 because FireFox took a long time to open. I also liked the fact that it had a menu option for next/previous tab so I could create a keyboard shortcut. On my MBP, I'm using FireFox and it is very speedy.

isleofjib

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
CT
HRMPH, I never knew that about the PC version. I've always just used the Organise Bookmarks dropdown for this. I may have an extension that adds this, though.

EDIT: Yep, the Add Bookmark Here extension.

The other BIG beef is the contextual menu "option" or lack thereof. There's NO WAY to right click and select "open in new tab" from the bookmarks dropdown. Just from the toolbar.

check your tab preferences. if it isn't there, get tab mix plus. it'll give you that option, or the option to open in a new tab with a middle click. plus a 100 more. :)

saladiro

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
New York
Thanks, Right On, that was what I was looking for. And I agree, it's the extensions. Safari may be great as a browser but I just can't see it offering all that Firefox offer or I would have heard about it before. I'm sure it is tops if all you have is a Mac but if you have PC, Linux and Mac as I do you just can't beat FF with it cross platform versions. I have tried them all (Safari only recently) and I keep coming back to FF.

Again Thanks, one step closer to understanding my Mac.

hi...sorry to get lost in the mix, but i too cant get fire fox to add favorites to my toolbar. even through "organize bookmarks" i have problems also. can someone please give me step by step instructions.

(please bear in mind I have only owned a mac for 3 days)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.