Any Macbook Air + iPad users considering an iMac instead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by i0Nic, Jun 16, 2012.

1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Since getting an iPad, I find I use my Macbook Air less and less away from the desk. The iPad is getting more capable of replacing my computing needs away from the desk, so my Air is connected to a display and sitting on my desk the majority of the time.

Because it's connected to a display, speakers, power and external HD, it becomes tedious to unplug just to move the laptop around the house. In the choice to pick up either the Air or the iPad, the iPad wins due to convenience.

Now, there are times when the Air is certainly more capable than the iPad and would be more appropriate. I always thought it would be great to use the Air away from a desk, like at a coffeeshop or anywhere outside. I could get some real work done on it. But what has happened is that these occasions are few and far between.

It's almost like having the worst of two worlds. By having a laptop constantly connected to a third party display and accessories, it's not an elegant desktop solution like the iMac. Also, having to unplug the Air all the time and then plug back in is not ideal either, it's easier to just use the iPad for portability.

I'm thinking of making the switch to an iMac + iPad setup and see how I go, even though I love Apple's laptops. It's difficult to pull the trigger though, because I feel that buying a desktop computer is so last century.

Is anyone having similar thoughts or been through the same decision? Would love to hear your thoughts.

2. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I'm the opposite, I was an iMac + iPad user. I bought a MacBook Air and am selling the iPad as I use the MBA far far more.

3. TrollToddington macrumors 6502

Well, I've been in your camp, got tired of my laptop which looked like a Christams tree when connected to all external devices, and got an iMac. now, I'm right in the opposite situation. I've got an iMac and iPad, and this combo is working very well. The thing is that I need a laptop several times a year and I can't justify having a macbook besides the other devices. The cost of purchasing an old macbook is equal to the cost of upgrading my iMac to a contemporary MBA. Besides, why should I have 2 old devices when for the same amount of money I an have one current device? So I am considering selling the 2010 i3 iMac and buy a 2012 13" MBA + monitor.

It's not about elegance, it's about convenience. The iMac is an exceptionally capable computer but in todays world people need to be mobile and I'm sure at times you will regret not having a laptop. The only win-win situation is if you can afford all three devices, which I guess is not the case or otherwise you wouldn't have asked.

4. EDiTOR9 macrumors regular

On a recent business trip, I took my hp laptop and my iPad. I attempted to do all of my work on my iPad and for the most part, I was able to do the basics such as email and calendar stuff but when it came down to reports and expenses, the iPad was too much of a headache so I used the laptop I had with me.

I too am using my iPad more than my laptop, if not to sync my iPad to, I probably would only need it for work when I travel, but that hp laptop weighs a m-fing ton so that's what led my fiancée to buy a MBA for me. I still intend to buy an iMac once I move into a new apartment because while the MBA is cool and all, it's still not as powerful as an iMac is. With all that my fiancée and I have coming up, I'll de boing some video and picture editing on the iMac ;).

5. bit density macrumors 6502

Nope. I find that it is much easier to type than not to type. The iPad is clearly number three in use after the Phone and the Air...

I however read books on it, play games on it, and read flip book on it, but it is definitely last in line.

But I also have an iMac, which the kids use. That is number 4, but there are some activities that are simply much easier on the iMac.

If I were to sell any of them it would be the iPad.

I suspect though that Smart Glass or Apple TV may bring me back to the iPad more in the Livingroom.

6. Logos327 macrumors 6502

I had my 2008 MBP connected to a 21.5" external monitor most of the time essentially functioning as a desktop and used my iPad for the mobile stuff. When it came time to upgrade, I was set on getting a 27" iMac with an SSD for around $2600 justifying it by saying I have this iPad so there is no reason to get another laptop.

In the end, I split the money down the center and got a $1300 2012 MBA and built myself an amazing PC that out-specs the current 27" iMacs (except in screen) for $1300. So now I have a great desktop, and one of the best laptops out there.

While that worked for me, it sounds like an iMac may better for you. Try forcing yourself to leave it connected to the external monitor for 2 weeks and seeing if there was ever a situation where you had to have the air (or would have really wanted to have it). That should be a pretty good indicator. With all that being said, if you plan on keeping your Air either way, the iMac makes even more sense because you can have the air as a backup just in case.

7. jameswdmb macrumors member

If the 27" iMac is something you are looking at, then you might want to consider the approach that I took. I purchased a refurbed 27" Thunderbolt display ($850) and a 2012 MacBook Air ($1239). I have portability when I want it, plently of performance w/ the SSD, Ivy Bridge, USB 3.0, and 8 GB RAM. I also get the option that when I deem my Air to be obsolete, I can either get another laptop, or a Mini, and still have my display available to work with whatever I buy next. I hope to get multiple generations of computers out of the display.