Any MacBook issues I should know about?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by .:R2theT, Dec 30, 2007.

1. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

So I think I have decided the MacBook is the portable for my needs. I am all set to pick one up. I am wondering though about previous "issues" I have seen during my information gathering.

Are there any major problems affecting the current MB offerings? Has anyone experienced the discoloration issue lately? Are the faulty Seagates still an issue? Anything else?

I could afford the MBP but I really don't need that type of performance for my applications. The MB seems like a much better fit for my lifestyle but if the MBP seems to be having less "significant" issues I could go with that. TIA!

2. 119576 Guest

I've had no issues with my new MacBook.

A quick browse of the forums will tell you enough about problems people are having with theirs.

3. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

just pick one up and enjoy! Once again, forums tend to be places that people with problems come to vent or ask for help, most people have happy perfect macbooks :)

ENJOY!

4. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Don't worry too much. If there's anything wrong with your MacBook within 14-days of your purchase, you're entitled a replacement. Other than that AppleCare warranty applies.

5. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

I've had mine for two months and have not had a single problem. I got it on the Leopard release date :D

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Most of the issues earlier versions had have been worked out. Right now, if you get bugs, they'll almost certainly have to do with the beta OS preinstalled. Allegedly, the freezing keyboard issue was recently fixed with a patch, though. Not sure about the wireless. Either way, the odds are in your favor of having a problem-free machine.

7. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

Quite the opposite. Historically (and anecdotally, I need to add) the MacBook Pro has suffered a much higher defect rate than the regular MacBook.

8. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

No problem here with my MB. Its been the best notebook I have had so far!!!;) I say enjoy!:D

9. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

I even have an original stock model 1.83 Ghz and it doesnt have any discoloration issues at all. (although it may have been replaced by previous owner) The left side plastics curve up a little bit on mine - common problem from what I've read and it doesn't have any effect performance. Early magsafes melt (mine did) but the new macbooks are released with redesigned cords, so this shouldn't be an issue for you. Other than that, my macbook works flawlessly and is very fast with my 2gb ram chip i put in. (ebay for !$25!, leaving one slot open for future expansion)

10. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Quite a few people have been reporting their MacBooks have been catching on fire shortly before exploding. I would look out for that.

11. Cool6324 macrumors member

LOL, I'm assuming that was a joke? My MB works great, best purchase I've ever made.

12. sorchard macrumors regular

Apart from my screen not being flush with the bottom case when closed, I've not had a problem with my SR MacBook.

13. Chris88 macrumors member

14. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

So far no hardware issues for me at all, I think it's being quite unrealistic saying lot's of peoples computers catch fire.

15. .:R2theT thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the heads-up on that one. Do the MBs come with a micro-extinguisher then? ;)

Thanks for all the replies. I have decided to wait it out until MWSF. It is only two weeks to wait and who knows what might be released.

I was at the Apple Store yesterday and was playing with both MBs and MBPs. I still really like the form factor of the MBPs quite a bit better. If Apple comes out with a smaller MBP-type device I will probably go for that.

Again, thanks for all the replies and Gung Hay Fat Choy!

16. cjsuperstar macrumors newbie

Well I bought mine in the basis that they were more stable than pc, but it's actually frozen 5 times sine I bought it 2 weeks ago. Taking back to the store tomorrow.

BTW it's my first apple computer so can't comment on my overrall experience.

17. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Yes :) My MacBook has been problem free.

18. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i'd watch out for them if I were you. They have a history of knocking people's socks off.

19. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Mine is defect-free.

Its an older model though... 2 generations behind current ones. Mine is among those that first shipped with Core 2 Duos, so basically its 2nd gen

20. donotronix macrumors newbie