ANY machinist here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jkcerda, Mar 6, 2018.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

my milling machine leaves a lot to be desired, the ways are "stuck" and "jumpy".
    [​IMG]
    IT'S a very old bridgeport that has been abused a lot, wondering if it's worth getting it trued up.

2. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

While I am not a machinist, I would think if a tune up enables you to work more efficient, then heck yeah I would definitely look into getting one. I don't know if this is your working profession or a hobby, but what about getting a new machine altogether? Again, I am not a machinist, but it might be time to retire the old beauty.

3. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Well you could switch to plastic lowers and there will be virtually no resistance when you're milling out the FCG channel.

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I do have one but I prefer aluminum lowers as the price is decent and should last longer

5. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I've been thinking about doing one of these myself but I don't know if the whole shebang will fit in a Harbor Freight Mini Mill, which is what I have. Maybe you can measure the setup with jig and tell me what the maximum height is?

Also, I am not a machinist so I have no idea what kind of cutter to use for aluminum, how many flutes, what kind of coating, how many RPMs, high or low gear, etc. All I know is that when I use general purpose bits on aluminum at random RPMs that I pick arbitrarily, the cutter gets "gummed up" (for lack of a better word), and so aluminum is actually more difficult for me than steel, even though its softer. I probably have some learning to do.

6. burrzoo macrumors newbie

burrzoo

--- Post Merged, Mar 7, 2018 ---
    @jkcerda,
    Saw your post through Tapatalk and thought I'd ask my Husband. He's an "old-school" machinist.

1. [plz don't take offense] Your machine is filthy dirty (and possibly rusty...hard to tell in picture). Don't use that canned dust blower on the mill...ever. You should be vacuuming it up (or even wiping them up with a towel or rag). Even though the tolerances on any milling machine should be tight, those little cuttings can still get under the table (blocking the ways) when blowing them around (helping to make it jumpy and stuck).
    2. If you're using a modern style cutting solution, it turns gummy when it dries (helping to make it jumpy and stuck). Use cutting oil on steel (and kerosene or solvent on aluminum). Cutting oil is messy but will help in the long run.
    3. That Bridgeport is a great machine (LOL, he said he'd buy it!) and it probably would work tip-top if it was cleaned and re-oiled and a true-up done properly. Hubby was a "Maintenance" machinist so did this routinely when working.
    1. Use 4 flutes or higher bits.
    2. Spin it fast! 500-700 RPMs...at least "start there" and see how it works for you
    3. Use kerosene or solvent
    4. Hubby said "Cutting aluminum" it's like cutting bubblegum, but the faster you cut through it, the better. Practice on some test pieces.

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

like this one?

plenty of tips there. 2 flute should work.
    it has not seen much use in the last 12 years , yes I need to clean & lube it and no offence taken, betting I am the first one to use it in over a decade that it has been just sitting there. thanks for the tip in the vacuum, I was going to keep blowing those chips out but the ways do need to be seriously cleaned.