Any MacOS X on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by cosmichobo, Oct 7, 2011.

1. cosmichobo macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

G'day,

I was just thinking to myself today, how desperate I was to own a TAM when they were announced in early 1997.

Then I thought... what else has inspired so much desire... and... the iPad SHOULD... but doesn't, for me.

If it ran OS X... I'd own 3...

So... as I understand, there are 2 major obstacles...

1) Touch interface
    2) Architecture

I've heard of work-arounds regarding getting Mac OS to work via a touch interface... so...

Would any version of Mac OS X - pre Intel or Intel - ever work on an iPad?

(No, not via screen sharing... actually running the OS)

Cheers

cosmic

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, iOS is actually a version of OS X. So in a way, yes, a version of OS X is already working on the iPad.

As for whether there would ever be feature parity between Mac OS and iOS, I'm guessing it would never be 100%, but as years go by, I expect the two OS to get closer and closer together. For instance, with the document syncing coming up with iCloud, I could start working on a document on my iMac, then continue working on it on my iPad, then back to my iMac. So it wouldn't matter that Pages for Mac doesn't work on my iPad, as long as the document can be passed back and forth.

3. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

How much of OSX is incorporated in iOS? If it is the same underlying kernel (which I doubt), would it be possible to use the OSX GUI on an iPad? That would be a terrible idea, but I'm curious if it could be done.

4. Dewroo macrumors regular

Dewroo

Not at all. iOS is basically a fork of Mac OS X. however, i used an app called Air Display to make my iPad the primary monitor of my mac and it was faster then VNC and that quality of the image it's self was near native when things were standing still with minimal compression when moving windows about and things. it's as close as i've gotten to "Running" OS X on the iPad.