Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
I have a very cluttered desk and sometimes there's not enough room for my Magic Mouse to move around. I think that the Magic Trackpad will better suit my needs, and will be easier to navigate with using more multitouch gestures. Has anybody switched from the Magic Mouse to Trackpad? Was it a good choice?

MacForScience

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
USA
I have a very cluttered desk and sometimes there's not enough room for my Magic Mouse to move around. I think that the Magic Trackpad will better suit my needs, and will be easier to navigate with using more multitouch gestures. Has anybody switched from the Magic Mouse to Trackpad? Was it a good choice?

I use the magic mouse. I like it with the following caveats:
1.) It sucks for gaming
2.) It can sometimes be obnoxious not having any tactile delineation between left and right click

Other then those two issues its great esp. for everyday computing stuff.

Cheers

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.

You seem to have answered your own question! Neither the Magic Mouse nor the Magic Trackpad are better than one and other. Their usability is dependent on the users (your) requirements. Other people's preferences are not really relevant.

Personally, I prefer the Magic Mouse - even if my desk was cluttered! :)

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
I switched. I just couldn't stand the Magic Mouse anymore. It was very finicky in Excel in terms of scrolling when I didn't want it to (finger too close to the surface, detected it as movement), the right/left button issue (it would sometimes get it wrong), and just the general shape was never comfortable to me. I gave it months but could never acclimate to it. When I need a mouse I go back to my Logitech Blue Tooth mouse. For the most part though, the Magic Trackpad does the job admirably. I really, really like it!

swiftflo

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2010
Magic Mouse v Trackpad

Just bought a Trackpad, struggling to come to terms with it, but will persevere.Love the Magic Mouse, but will have to get used to Trackpad ready for Lion.

willieva

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
I have both. For cutting and pasting the mouse is far superior. Otherwise the trackpad is nice, particularly on a cluttered desk.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I have both as well and keep them side by side
They each do some things better than the other, and I choose which to use based on what I am doing

If I could only have one, I would choose the mouse
But I like having both very much

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
If you had asked me this question before I had a MacBook Pro I would have laughed derisively and said 'mouse'. But, Apple's implementation of the trackpad is so good that I could actually see myself using one exclusively.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.