Any major bugs/issues/dealbreakers on the 15'' high end MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by superstrongboy, Feb 25, 2011.

1. superstrongboy macrumors member

Well do you guys know of any major bugs or issues which would be a deal breaker for the high end 15'' mbp except the price ;) ?

I am going to buy my first ever mac (yay!) tomorrow for university this fall, and i wanted to know if it had any major issues. Thanks in advance

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There hasn't been enough time for any major issue to be rise up and be complained about by the masses.

3. superstrongboy thread starter macrumors member

so do you suggest that i buy it later or would it be fine if i buy it tmrw since i m gonna be buying applecare.

4. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

It's an Apple product. You can bet it's been tested and retested. I don't think you have to worry about major bugs. If anything surfaces, it will be OS related. You can buy from them with confidence. If you end up getting a lemon (which can happen from time-to-time), Apple is great about making it right.

I have no worries at all about buying one.

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I say buy the mbp but DO NOT buy the Apple care. It comes with 1yr free warranty...so if there major bugs found later (within 14 days) that you don't like, then return It. It'll save you money and time. Just my thoughts.

6. superstrongboy thread starter macrumors member

can i buy apple care ANY time? so say, if i buy apple care at the end of my 1 yr warranty, that would be better eh?

7. citizenal macrumors regular

Just make sure you buy it before 1 year is up, or you can't extend it. I would probably do it 1 month before, just to make sure. it's not like you gain any extra time by waiting till the very last day, you just get to keep the money in your pocket. hehe

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

It's up to you. If you are the financial planner guru type that can take the cost of Applecare and triple your money in that years time then you should wait. If you like to talk to Apple for issues regarding your machine or are the forgetful type then i'd buy now because A) the duration of your included 90-days of phone support is extended for the the remainder of the 1 year period plus the extra 2 years and B) Apple WILL NOT easily let you add applecare if you forget to buy it before the expiry of your included 1 year agreement.

9. superstrongboy thread starter macrumors member

10. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

I had a heat issue when I first bought my last one settled down after a couple days. New hardware breaking in. Hard to say but we need to hear a lot more complaints about it as well.

11. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

I have new MacBook pro. Upgraded from an intel core duo model.. And had an i5 version, which I returned and got this one.
    This Mac runs laps around both of those computers.. Also, I have zero issues with it.. Only thing I don't like, is skype makes the fans loud after an hour of usage. But I blame that on poor coding on skypes part.. Skype has so many issues

If u want to buy a warranty. BUY THE MAC FROM BESBUY! Bestbuy has a warranty that's the same as apples but theirs COVER ACCUDENTLE DAMAGES AS WELL!

12. superstrongboy thread starter macrumors member

from bestbuy? i thought it was the other way around and i should have bought it from apple lol

13. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Okay, here is a question:

I usually wait to buy Apple Care until the year is almost up. I accept that I won't have phone support after 90 days, and waiting works for me because, a) if for some reason I decide to sell before the year is up it's money I did not have to spend and thus try to get back; and b) it helps to spread out the "price" of the computer if I am keeping it for years.

But... are you saying that if you buy Apple Care right away (within 90 days) that you have phone support for the full year PLUS the next two years? And that if you wait for 11 months not only do you give up the 9 months of phone support from the remainder of the first year, but you then NEVER get the 24 months of phone support again?

I guess I thought the phone support was either:

1) For a full year if you bought Apple Care within 90 days (but never for the remaining two years).

2) For the first 90 days if you either did not buy Apple Care or bought it after the 90 day period.

But I'll admit that I have not studied it closely, since usually I can find answers to anything that I could get by phone on the Internet, and if it requires a trip to Apple then I'm covered at any rate (for one year or three years, depending).

14. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

Nope, apple just extends manufacturers warranty, best buy does manufacturers and accidental

15. lesyork macrumors member

If you're outside complimentary phone support and you buy AppleCare (within the year), the phone support returns for the full length of your AC, 3 years.

16. superstrongboy thread starter macrumors member

so what do you suggest for me? should i buy from best buy or apple store?

17. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info, lesyork. That makes sense, too.