Any Mavericks/iOS 6 holdouts?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by retta283, Jun 8, 2018.

1. retta283 macrumors regular

retta283

If this is the wrong forum mods please move it.

Was wondering if there are any other OS X Mavericks/iOS 6 holdouts in 2018. I miss the great 3D design and
    speed of these older OSes.

If anyone has info on incompatible software on Mavericks/ones with near end of support let me know.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Those operating systems alone are "incompatible" with computer security.

3. retta283 thread starter macrumors regular

retta283

Depends on the user. I also have High Sierra partitioned for such scenarios where Mavericks could lead to security compromises.

4. FeliApple macrumors 65816

FeliApple

I have a device compatible with iOS 9 on iOS 6 (iPod Touch 5G) but my Mac is too new to support Mavericks (2015 rMBP.) I'd like to try it, but unlike iOS, I actually like the new Mac OS design. Maybe because I am used to it. I dislike the post iOS 6 design, though.

5. retta283 thread starter macrumors regular

retta283

If you really want to, you can find a compatible 2007-09 iMac for $100-150 which will run Mavericks. Haven't messed with VMs but it may be another route. I would agree that modern macOS looks better than modern iOS.

6. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

One more vote here for macOS design. And I also agree on iOS.

I ran the Snow Leopard in VirtualBox yesterday. I found the old Snow Leopard DVD. It was badly scratched, but, regardless, it worked. (I wanted to make a thread about it, but didn't know where to post it, and also thought some people might be thinking it would be stupid to create a thread about it, so I gave up).

So, I was reliving my late teen years once again. It was wonderful, had many flashbacks while I was playing around.

I miss Aqua, those buttons like jelly, make you wanna eat them.

But, I am loving current Mac OS design more and more. It is also beautiful in its own way.

7. retta283 thread starter macrumors regular

retta283

Snow Leopard is generally considered to be the best version of OS X. If it still had support I'm sure people would run it. One thing I really miss about aqua were the scrollbars, they looked like water.

8. Eithanius macrumors 65816

9. retta283 thread starter macrumors regular

retta283

They were good days for Apple.

10. weckart macrumors 601

I still have iOS 6 on my iPad Mini (first gen) and my iPhone 4 but since both are short on RAM, they have been retired. I jailbroke my iPhone just to prevent it ever updating to iOS 7 once I tried it and deleted it before Apple stopped signing iOS 6.

I keep both devices as a memento of how things were before iOS turned fugly.

I also have Mavericks on my Mac Pro 5,1 and Lion on my Mac Pro 1,1. Both for compatibility reasons with older apps.

11. retta283 thread starter macrumors regular

retta283

I would love to have an iPad Mini with iOS 6. I still use an iPhone 4S running 6.1.3 daily. I actually have every version of OS X from Tiger to El Capitan installed on various machines, even though they aren't as useful as Mavericks or later

12. Guy Clark Suspended

Guy Clark

Snow Leopard stands at the pinnacle of the platform and I retain a small partition which I occasionally boot in to on my mid 2011 iMac and runs superb on a Intel Quad Core i5 and 8GB RAM.

Although now dated Snow Leopard is quite usable in 2018 although there are compatibility issues with third party software. It is essential not to use Safari on Snow Leopard and has not been updated for a long time plus it no longer renders all web pages correctly. The best web browser to use with Snow Leopard is Firefox 45.9 ESR
    https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/45.9.0esr/mac/

Steam and Dropbox are no longer supported so that is another consideration and of course iCloud is not on Snow Leopard although I am not certain if it can be accessed through Firefox 45.9 ESR

I am going to do some research in to Cloud options for Snow Leopard so I will get back.

13. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

Good luck, but I do not think it is worth it. It is OK to keep a partition in which you can boot into when you feel like, but for daily use, I think it's just inadequate and outdated.

Now, if we are to discuss what is the best Mac OS 10 ever, I think it is Tiger, and then Snow Leopard comes to second place.

14. retta283 thread starter macrumors regular

retta283

Tiger was excellent, first really great version of Mac OS X. I never used Panther so I can't say much about it.

15. retta283 thread starter macrumors regular

retta283

Update: I've recently acquired another device running iOS 6. I found a 16GB black iPhone 4 on 6.1.3.
    Notice I am using a newer Mac OS than Mavericks in this, as I think I've already mentioned I have multiple OSes on my iMac for software reasons. Mavericks remains my main OS however.
    IMG_0235.JPG

Attached Files:

16. TimothyR734 macrumors 6502a

TimothyR734

I still use Mavericks on my iMac I like the MacOSes hard to pick a fav

17. Guy Clark Suspended

Guy Clark

1) OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
    2) OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
    3) macOS 10.12.6 Sierra

18. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Not macOS 10.11.6 El Capitan...?

19. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I still use Mavericks when I do audio recording work with my old m-audio interface.

20. Avenged110 macrumors 6502

Avenged110

I still use Mavericks daily on my MacBook Pro and Mac mini. Love that design. I also use iOS 6 on all my iOS devices (aside from a couple first gen. iPod touches).

21. retta283 thread starter macrumors regular

retta283

It's come to my attention that people are having problems with Safari in Mavericks, a pop-up will come up randomly from stags.bluekai. If anyone know why or how to fix this please let me know

22. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

I absolutely hated Mavericks, but iOS 6 is nice to use, I have it on an iPod touch 4 and an iPhone 3GS + 4S on the side :)

23. Expobill macrumors 6502a

i dont ike mavericks because Mt Loin was my favorite OS X, and the battery usage dropped considerable form under an hour to 5 hours the minute after the upgrade. Today, both macs run El Capitan and I'm through updating iPad software, i feel that is like adding bandaids on a stuck pig. Mavericks does not have modern features and does not have modern iPad compatibility like El Capitan.

so i really detest "NBCsport web" everything, they host NYMets games online now, after several very frustrating attempts to log in, that continuous annoying commercial, and spinning blue ball, the game was finally on my TV, then in the bottom of the 3rd inning, 2 on, 1 out, they go to a commercial. meanwhile there is advice/warning on the screen say i should upgrade my browser. why don't they fix their tech instead.

24. maverick28 macrumors regular

I'm running 3 OS X (see my signature ;)), including Mavericks and the default Lion OS. I had problems with Mavericks which was part of the reason of me downgrading to Lion, but then what I had was a stock mechanical HDD and the miserable 4 GB of RAM in a PRO Apple laptop bought for around €1.5K (they could've put at least 8GB RAM and 250GB SSD for the price and the class - it wasn't MacBookAir after all but the latter had better components!). I was exclusively on Lion for almost 4 years and get back to Mavericks a month ago when I maxed out my MBP with SSD and RAM. I have to say that starting with Lion the OS X certainly became more power and speed hungry so even in 2011 a spinning drive and 4GB RAM displayed major issues. I run Mavericks and High Sierra from an external bootable SSD through USB 3.0 interface with Lion taking up the internal SSD and have to say with upgraded hardware internals it now runs a LOT better than it used to 4 years ago.
    The main problem with older version is actually not so dramatic as many feel the need to stress it. And no, it's not security either: I browsed the darkest corners of Internet with Safari 5 in 2015-2018 yy and had not encountered a singled threat or a breach. A thing that hit me most wasn't security but compatibility since many sites would simply either refuse to load or crash Safari (it seems majority of web-sites with all their fancy "fluid" animations are being built only as the mean to push more ads and track their visitors: being reduced to only useful core any browser would be capable of navigating them smoothly), I had to download Waterfox and Chrome which I dislike - I'd rather be running Safari but I have no choice. I use it only on light-weght sites.
    In addition sharing functionality suffered to the level of becoming totally unusable - Google Maps, Facebook and Flickr in Apple apps (former iLife and QuickTime Player).
    However, since working experience doesn't boil down only to Internet browsing or social involvement every mac OS X is totally usable and lets you be fully productive and creative. I don't use iMovie 10 much, for that I work in Lion in iMovie 9. Most of my apps are in Lion only and some much needed and frequently required - in Mavericks and High Sierra. 3/4 of my working time I spend in Lion (50%) and Mavericks (40%) with only 10% going to HS (you wouldn't believe what for - Twitterrific :D)
    All said above applied to Mavericks. I re-examined it and found many features Lion lacked perfectly neat and welcome. I'm not satisfied with everything, I miss some small but practical perks I'd gotten used to in Lion. But I like that even in 2019 I can run more compatible apps in Mavericks that simply wouldn't run in Lion and for which I had struggled painfully to find viable alternatives.
    No need to ugrade annually - they support every OS for 3 years since the release date and even then it's OK to continue using. Those who work in corporate Mac-environment - I don't envy you.

25. ASentientBot macrumors 6502

ASentientBot

Contrary to what others have said here, I haven't actually experienced much better speed in Mavericks than High Sierra or even Mojave (I'm on a 2010 MacBook). Snow Leopard and Lion definitely boot and run noticeably faster, but OS X was already getting pretty heavy by Mountain Lion/Mavericks. Unless your machine doesn't support the latest OS or you need to run old software, I really don't see much reason to stick with an old version.

For all that's said about 10.6 being the pinnacle of OS X, I disagree. After using more modern versions, it feels very dated -- it lacks notifications, full screen/spaces, and the super intuitive and fluid touchpad gestures introduced in Lion. The GUI appearance is just personal preference, so there's no point arguing about that, but I actually like the flatter, simpler look in new macOS. Besides, in Snow Leopard, you have to use an outdated third-party browser like Firefox 45, which is a significantly worse experience than Safari 12. For me, its only real strengths are lightness and Rosetta.

I just find that, overall, while old versions are nice in terms of appearance and nostalgia, they're simply not practical for daily use.