Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Just a quick question that I wasn't able to get any decent info for from a forum search.

I'm about to buy a black MB soon - hopefully the news this week will be promising for C2D possibilities - and I'm looking at getting a Samsung 225BW 22" LCD monitor that's on sale this week at Circuit City for $399. I know I can get it for less online (not much less, but less just the same) but I prefer to just buy it locally in case of issues and have it home the same day.

So, I'm curious to know if any MB owners (this doesn't apply to MBP owners since they have the ATI x1600 chips) are currently using their notebooks with 20" or larger LCD panels and what kind of results you're having.

Sure, I'd love to have a 20" Cinema Display, but for the price, forget it. I can do just as well for considerably less money, but this 22" Samsung (1680x1050, 700:1 contrast, etc) is pretty damned nice I'd say.

Any opinions or information will be greatly appreciated. I just want to know that the Intel GMA950 is capable of driving such an LCD without any hassles or performance issues. I don't play games at all, but DVD watching would definitely be a must-have with no skipping because of the increased resolution requirements if I play back full screen.

Thanks!
bb

snugja

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2006
apple cinema display

I'm running a macbook 2gb ram and an apple 20" cinema display(aluminum) I just bought this week. works very well. I couldn't pass up the design and sweetness of the ACD. it's awesome. no problems playing dvd's full screen etc.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
mashinhead said:
has anyone connected it to a 30 inch display, is that in any way possible.
it is not possible to connect the 30 incher from macbook, but the macbook pro would do
the 30 incher requires dvi dual link

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I use it with a 23" ACD. However, I'm considering selling it since I have bills to pay and it's kind of a luxury... not sure :confused:

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
mashinhead said:
what about a dell 24?
That's what I have. Just got it this week, actually.

It hooks up to my blackbook (2gbs of RAM), which is my only machine. I was nervous about a performance hit, even though Apple said the lappy could power it. I haven't noticed any lag or anything, though! Works great and is amazing for at home - too much time on that 13" screen would drive me bonkers! haha

Oh, and to the OP: one of the first things I did was put a DVD in to see how it looked, and it's great. There was no skipping or anything. I'd say go for it!

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
bearbo said:
it is not possible to connect the 30 incher from macbook, but the macbook pro would do
the 30 incher requires dvi dual link

Yes, you can drive a 30" ACD with the MacBook, simply not at such high resolutions as 2560x1600. I don't know if the 30" ACD supports 1920x1200, yet that would be possible, but it would definiantly® look best with 1280x800 on the ACD, since it would then use 4 pixels for one pixel, and it wouldn't look too screwy.

It would be way cooler and cheaper with a 23" ACD though.

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
A question about the larger LCDs attached to MB/MBP:

I just got a black MB yesterday and a Samsung 205BW (20.1", 1680x1050). Is it possible to use just the Samsung as the primary monitor and disable the laptop's LCD when I'm at home? Dual monitors is nice, but it requires an awful lot more mouse movement. The Samsung itself is more than enough for a primary for me.

Thanks for any assistance...
bb

EDIT:
Well I looked up some info on clamshell mode and discovered (at least for me) it's this simple:

Close the lid to put the MacBook into clamshell mode, and after it changes modes, click the mouse (either button). After a few seconds the external LCD fired up at native res (1680x1050) and then I took a chance and opened the MacBook. It works! The internal LCD is powered down and I only have the external LCD working. Brilliant design work on Apple's part.

So I answered my own question. :) Hope the info is helpful...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.