any MBA owners consider the new Retina MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by GadgetGeek407, Jun 18, 2012.

1. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

I cant believe im saying this but I was in the store yesterday and OMG the new 15 looks so nice n thin, its like as thick as our MBA at its thickest point, all the way around. I love the MBA, it seems pretty light the 15 but I am one of those that would even be fine with any machine i just love having the newest nicest i suppose.

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

No. It's built and priced for people who need/want high-end graphics. In other words, professionals, or gamers who wish they got paid to play :)

Someday, we'll all have retina displays, but I can wait until 2013. The 2012 MBAs are really coming into their own, and I cannot believe I have one. A few years ago they were expensive and the specs were rather poor, but here I am with a tiny machine (I still cannot believe how thin AND sturdy these are) that does so much more than the beasts I have lugged around in the past, or the netbook that struggled to handle Word and the browser at the same time!

For me, the MBPr would be a step backwards.

3. dominicdiep macrumors member

This. When I looked at the price I nearly cried. Plus they didn't have a 13" option. So the Air was the next best alternative, and at under a grand it didn't hurt the wallet too much (for an Apple product, that is).

4. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Agreed with the 2 previous posts. I was very tempted initially by the speed and power of the nMBP, but ultimately what I like most about my Air is the tiny size and weight, and going to something much heavier, larger, and more expensive just didn't make sense.

5. jojoba macrumors 68000

I wouldn't consider switching because a prime criteria for me in getting the air was portability/ that it's so light weight. But I did upgrade my iPad to 3gen - the retina screen is fantastic for reading and I go through a lot of text on my iPad.

6. mszpara macrumors regular

I considered it, very briefly. the MBA is replacing my Win7 Asus UL30VT as my main machine, and spec-wise the Air beats that, hands down. The retina display would definitely be very nice, but considering the price I just don't need it... MBA all the way.

7. vcuares macrumors member

Sooo tempting but I'll wait for a retina MBA or retina 13"MBP. 15" RMBP is still heavy for me. I have the budget for either but went for the base 13 MBA and never been happy. I have an 2008 Mac Pro and used to own a Rev B one.

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

As a general policy, I never buy first revision hardware (or first generation for that matter) from anyone.

After the price drops a bit, and the kinks are worked out, then I will consider it.

This is the first revision of the new generation of MBP, and it's the first generation retina laptop display. Both of those scream "hold off" to me.

Personally, I think the magic number with Apple is 4 (give or take, this is not a science)
    - 4th gen iPod was the one with a click wheel, before the color screen. Had none of the battery issues of the previous models, and had good USB support.
    - 4th gen iPod nano was the one right after the fatty model, best ID imo.
    - 4th gen iPhone is the one everyone has and loves.
    - we are currently on the 3rd revision of the 2nd generation MBA, and it's awesome!

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I played with it. I decided to give the new MBA 13" a try. The MBPr 15" was too big for my taste. For me, portability is more important. The 13" MBPr thought, THAT might tempt me....

10. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

I've just cancelled an order for a rMBP, and am seriously considering an Air.

This machine will be a direct replacement for my aging iMac (2006).

Portability is not a key consideration, but I have reluctantly come round to the conclusion that I need 512GB local storage, making it a straight fight between the fully-loaded 13" Air and the higher spec rMBP.

The difference is around £500 GBP.

Having become used to a retina display on my iPhone and iPad, it seems the rMBP might be the way to go, if only for future-proofing (this machine needs to last at least 5 years), but I was pretty impressed with the resolution of the Air when I fooled around with one today — even that is a big improvement in resolution from my iMac, and makes stepping down from 20" to 13" appear tolerable.

I'm not a "pro" user — I mainly use my Mac for iTunes, Safari, bittorrent and video conversion (using Elgato Turbo 264HD), so kinda feel that a MacBook Pro would be overkill.

The alternative to both is sitting tight and waiting for the new iMac, but I'm increasingly convinced that desktops have had their day.

What do you reckon?

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

With cloud solutions (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) and external drives (Time Capsule, 1TB hard drives, etc.) I see no point for having 512 GB (considering your use case). Why do you need it?

12. coupey macrumors regular

im the exact same. I like having the newest and nicest thing. I bought the $2799 version of the MacBook Pro with retina display. I am returning it tonight in favor of the base model 13" MacBook Air. I do not need the pro, not even close to utilizing it honestly. I just wanted it cuz it was a beautiful screen and power even if I didn't need it. trying to justify a near $3000 laptop to be used for web browsing, watching movies and listening to music just hasn't settled well with me haha. I just built a gaming pc recently so I wouldn't use it for gaming either, plus I'll be saving $1600. oh yeah. 15" is WAY too big for me. I can't handle it.

13. powsucks macrumors member

I opted for the air in the end but I did consider the RMBP. I don't understand the talk of how expensive it is. I you look at the facts, it's actually pretty resonably priced compared to previous Pro models.

In the end it wasn't the money that decided it for me, it was the fact I don't actually need a quad core powerhouse with a retina display. I would be wasted on me and I'd rather spend the difference on a flight to Thailand (it just about covered it). I think some people like to pretend they need the Pro modelm when in truth they really, really don't.