Any MBP / uMBP heat comparison tests/reviews?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by niuniu, Mar 29, 2009.

1. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I have the 'old' 2007 MBP and the thing has always run from quite hot to ridiculously hot when gaming in bootcamp. I still love it, but am about to snap and pick up the new unibody model. I'd really like to see some reports, even anecdotal, about heat. I've been very surprised that heat hasn't been talked about much on reviews as I regarded that as one of the biggest problems with the MBP..

Any word? :apple:

2. kx7 macrumors newbie

3. kx7 macrumors newbie

I just upgraded from a late 2007 (Santa Rosa) MBP 15" to the 17" unibody. I only had this for 2 days so I haven't had a chance to push the machine yet but so far for general use it runs WAY cooler than my 2007 machine by about 10-15 degrees Celsius. The machine at times does get hot at times but no where near before. I don't even notice the fans running. For normal use my cpu is 49 - 51 degree celcius.

On my 2007 machine, no matter what I was doing it was HOT. I am very happy with my upgrade, just for this fact alone. I can actually use this on my lap without getting burned. I am sure if I start gaming or pushing it doing graphics/video it will get hotter which maybe others can comment on.

To save money until I upgrade from the SSD, I got the 2.93 with stock 4gb Ram and 5400 RPM hard drive. I kinda regret not upgrading the HD for 50$ for the 7200rmp thinking this setup is just temporary. AS far as speed with this setup, it doesn't feel much faster than my 2.4MBP SR 4gb 7200rmp machine.

Hopefully once I upgrade the HD my machine will scream.

4. atheros07 macrumors member

My one-week old unibody MBP is my first MBP, but if you're not running anything particularly intensive (e.g., Firefox, Word, e-mail client and ITunes in the background), it usually runs around 50 degrees C if you're using the NVIDIA 9400, and around 60 degrees C with the NVIDIA 9600 switched on.

So I imagine it can get quite hot if you're gaming and if you're using the 9600. But you wouldn't be using that on your lap anyways.

The UMBP fans are always running at around 2000 RPM but I can't hear them at all. My old Dell's fan control was much more aggressive but also created a lot of noise... it ran about 10 degrees cooler than my UMBP but the fans always blasted on anytime the CPU temp reached over 53 degrees C.

5. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Ah the 17's usually run a fair bit cooler than the 15's..

Do you think it's worth the money going to the 7200rmp? Would you actually notice any difference? I've been uncertain about this for a while

Congrats on your first MBP :) Sounds like it's about as hot as the old ones :cool:

6. kx7 macrumors newbie

Without proper testing... I believe there is a difference running a 7200 vs. 5400. I regret not getting the upgrade (saving for my SSD fund) since I'll be using this setup for at least 6 months before SSD prices go down.

I didn't expect the 5400 to be "noticeable" but it definitely is. I can tell my new computer is faster, I just notice disk operations is slower, like applications opening. saving/copying files.