Any MBP users that use a PC 'Selfbuilder' at home ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CHSeifert, Apr 17, 2011.

1. CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Hey :)

I wonder how many of you MBP users use a PC selfbuilder at home for games and power app work (Photoshop, Illutstartor, Indesign and so on)

I hook my MBP up to an ACD 27" when at home in a dual setup with another ACD 27" which is hooked up to my Lian Li PC Selfbuild PC.

This way I feel I get the best of two worlds :)

Any of you guys like to build your own PC and also are fan of Macs :cool:
    I would use MacPro's if not for having to deal with old tech at a premium price (SATA 2, old CPU tech, old GPU tech and no USB 3 or Thunderbolt)

2. akhbhaat macrumors regular

I do. I've been building my own desktops since 1998 or so.

The desktop is really my primary machine; runs Linux (primarily) and Windows (gaming--when I have time!). The Mac is just what I use when I'm away from home. Love the keyboard, trackpad, screen, size/weight and so forth; those were the qualities I emphasize in a portable computer. Don't care so much about raw performance or GPU power (though the new i5 is remarkably capable for a mobile CPU) when I have my desktop beast to do the heavy lifting. :)

3. Manacit macrumors member

Manacit

I gave my mom my desktop build when I bought a new 2011 MBP. The specs were:

E6600 OCed to 3.2Ghz
    8800 GTS 640MB
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    nVidia 650i SLi Motherboard
    320GB SATA Drive & some random SATA DVD Burner
    All wrapped up in a nice Lian-Li case

Looking at geekbench scores, it would have probably scored about 1/2 as much as my 2.3 15" MBP, so there was really no point in keeping it around when I can just plug my MBP into my old monitor. I've been toying with building a desktop, but my MBP is powerful enough that there's basically no point.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a core i7 2.8Ghz, OC'd to 3.6 as my main machine. My MBP is my backup machine.

5. CHSeifert thread starter macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

As a sidenote to my original post, I did try to convince myself that my PC selfbuilding days were over :p - but not so I guess ;)

I looked at having an MBP 15 or even 17 Ultimate as my sole conputer hooked up to a LED ACD 27 when at home. Also considered an iMac 17 Ultimate, but a dusty computer in thin chassis with little to no fan outtake is bound to give dust and particle probalems as many iMac owners know :eek:

Finally also thought about getting the MacPro Quad Core or dual Quad core - but then discovered a machine costing even more than my Lian LI PC Ultimate would still miss important features like SATA 3, Thunderbolt/USB3, power GPU and Sandy bridge CPU - so skipped the idea and thought I would run the best of two worlds - a MBP 15 as power laptop and then connected to a LED ACD 27" when at home, so I didn't have to transfer all my work but just hook the MBP up.

Then a 'heavy' specced PC hooked up to my other LED ACD 27" at home for game play and for my most power hungry programs (Adobe Master Collection)

If I didn't have the MBP in use, when at home, I would miss Coda, Aperture and some other nice OSx programs and features - so hope the setup combo of a PC and a MBP will provide me with the best benefits from both these different systems :)

6. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

Me! I've been building computers for 15 years. I also work IT at a public library, all PCs.

I use both Macs and Windows-based PCs. Why? Because I love computers!

7. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I haven't owned a store bought PC since 1993. Also have been a Mac user of one sort or another since I started off with a Powerbook 145B whenever that was.

My PC has always been my main machine but now my MBPs have been primary and PC only for gaming. It goes for months without being turned on as gaming is a seasonal activity for me.

The one I have now is due for upgrade. Still running:

Quad Core2 2.66
    Asus Rampage Formula mobo
    nVidia 9800 GX2 (the fastest and most expensive card for about 10 minutes)
    Creative X-fi Titanium Champion sound card
    1kw power supply... I forget the brand
    Antec 900 case

8. Criticalmass macrumors member

Criticalmass

I stopped building desktops in 2005. In fact I haven't owned a desktop since 2005.

Right now I have an HDX18t running 24/7 as my file and movie streaming server, sftp server, etc.

For gaming? Xbox 360. :p I don't game on my computers anymore.

But yeah all my desktops were built from the ground up by me starting in 1991.

9. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think I'm reading this correctly...
    SATA2? what uses that?
    Old CPU? 2nd generation sandy bridge isn't that new enough?
    Old GPU? Middle warrior and
    Definitely not old?
    Sorry if I have misunderstood your post.

EDIT: Just noticed you said MacPro not MacBook Pro.

10. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

11. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I do when I'm building or getting ready to build a new rig, and then for the post build overclocking of the machine to within an inch of its life. After that period I crawl back under my rock.

Right now I'm on the new Mac wave which will probably hit the shore in about a week and then I'll similarly crawl back under my Mac forum rock.

12. Dahkot macrumors member

I'm exactly where you are. I'm a network engineer and both MS and Apple certified (along with Cisco/Allworx/misc other vendors also as we do everything from MS to Apple to Cisco and VOIP work).After trying to go back to a Windows laptop I just got a new Macbook Pro 17" as I just really prefer Apple laptops and OS X overall even if more of my work is with Windows Servers than OS X.

But the one and only area I just cannot get away from having a Windows machine is my home rig. I just like gaming too much when I have the time , I've tried Mac Pro route before but just cannot get the performance you can out of a custom built pc rig , not even close.

So currently have parts for my latest build on the way , a Sandy Bridge 2600k , 580 gtx , MSI p67 mb , etc and the HP 30" IPS panel (ZR30 ) and all together including monitor it still will come out far less than a Mac Pro I spec'd out. And while I love the Mac Pro's build and OS X of course more , I'm still stuck with one windows rig in the house mainly because of the video card situation , there's nothing you can get on the Mac Pro that can come close to the 580's otherwise I'd just go that route and boot camp it.

With Fusion letting me run all the Windows apps I need , I've done even server swing migrations off my macbook pro's in the past under Fusion , the only thing keeping a custom built rig in my house is the video card situation.

13. CHSeifert thread starter macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Still thinking about getting the HP ZR30 or the Dell 3011 30" - but I'm a sucker for a symmetric dual monitor setup and already own one LED ACD 27" - so for the harmony of it, I will probably get another one for my PC Lian Li rig :eek:

I can always adjust the brightness from my MBP if I have trouble doing that from my PC (as some have)
    I agree that the ZR30 and 3011 both probably are better displays - but the ACD 27" just look so nice, even though it has that crappy glossy screen :rolleyes:

Regarding the PC - I'm a Harddrive Freak, and I still don't think you can match any current Mac to the same harddrive setup as I will have in my Pc - not even close.

I will run:

Win 7 on OCZ Revodrive X2 100 GB PCI Express card (600-700 Mb/sec write and read)
    Programs on OCZ Vertex 3 240 GB
    Most used files on Seagate Momentus XT 500Gb HDD/Flash drive
    Music and Movies on WD Caviar 3 TB

No Mac machine can come even close to this speed. Only OSx makes me consider a desktop Mac, not the hardware at all - only their OS :apple:
    Their laptops are second to none design wise - but to be honest their Mac Pro's suck compared to High End desktop PC Selfbuilding systems like mine (just being honest here) ;)

14. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I built myself a machine last year, though I also use it as a hackintosh. Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz, 6GB of RAM and a 1GB 4890 is enough for me. Though I'm pretty interested in going solely to a laptop and chucking the desktop, as while the power is nice, I don't absolutely need all of it.

15. JH4DC5 macrumors member

prior to purchasing my 2011 mbp i've been using a self-built pc that i built about a year ago. i still consider it to be my primary computer, but ever since i got my macbook, i cant seem to put it down. lol

PC specs:
    core i5-750 @ 4GHz
    MSI GD-80 mobo
    8 GB DDR3 1600 ram
    ATI HD 5850

16. SithTracy macrumors newbie

SithTracy

First post here... Been building Windows PC's for years and recently built a new i7-2600K Sandy Bridge rig... and not too long after I bought my first MacBook Pro. Why? Well, I work in IT, but not in desktop support. I am the resident PC expert in my community and the go to guy. I deal with Windows viruses on friends/family & friends of friends PC's and they always ask me, how can we prevent them? I always say "buy a mac". I recently got called out on that. Friend says to me, but you don't have one, I will run what you do... Guess what buddy, I do now.

I really like the new Sandy Bridge MacBook and use it more for day to day computing than my new Sandy Bridge Windows rig. I do a lot with ProShow Studio and I just know Windows PC's, so I can say now I will always have one of each in my home.

17. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

^^
    Love this, reminds me of how i role ...
    Except when my granddad ... heard that my SSD had a problem being annoying me about that for weeks. He's not very computer savvy so anything to point at my get a Mac is great fun for him.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use tomshardware for all my hardware questions and/or research.

19. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

That recommendation would only work for now. Mac will have viruses as the number of mac users rises. No matter how hard or complicated the system is, there will be a virus on the WILD eventually.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9072959/Mac_easiest_to_hack_says_10_000_winner

Hacking will lead to viruses...

20. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

You don't mind posting a picture of your setup do you?

21. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Ditto. Macs and PCs live together harmoniously in my household. I work in IT and can appreciate both. MBP is my primary and I'm going to build another desktop to have as a backup.

22. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I have a homebuilt AMD Quadcore whose main purpose is playing games, ripping my CD, DVD & BluRay collection & running Handbrake. Plus an Synology NAS for common storage.

23. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

You should check out overclock.net, even if you don't oc. Lot's of good info there too, along with Toms, Hard OCP and forums, Johnny Guru and a few others. XtremeSystems has some really off the wall stuff, dry ice and liquid nitrogen cooling, etc.

24. dslrjunky macrumors regular

I built PC's for various clients for 8+ years now, troubleshooting and tutorials of some sorts some of it I enjoyed some are crazy... I was only introduced to OSX 6mos ago and I have to say I'm impressed by it and I don't do audio or video production, but I consider myself a dslr junky..lol!!! and just yesterday I went to bestbuy to see if they have deals on MBP, needless to say I came home with 2010 i5 15" 2.53 open box for (1271.29 CA tax included) no scratches at all, I was gonna go for the 13" i5 but was too small for me when traveling and I have multiple monitors at home anyway so 15" was right up in my alley.... so thats my 1st OSX experience!!!

25. CHSeifert, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

CHSeifert thread starter macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Yeahhh - of course as soon as I'm done ordering it and setting it up :)