Any Mercedes 240d drivers?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by count chocula, Sep 29, 2008.

1. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

I know someone who is looking to sell their 1983 Mercedes Benz 240d, and I am really interested in getting it. It's a four speed manual, and I don't yet know much about this specific car other than that. I know the model is kind of underpowered for it's size and weight, but that is the biggest downside I'm seeing in the car. I can deal with it. I would really appreciate thoughts/experiences from anyone who knows anything about these cars. Also, I've never driven a diesel before.. so any input on that would be more than welcome. I know they require some special work to get running in the cold.

I'm excited about the possibility of driving this car every day!

2. taylorwilsdon, Sep 29, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013

taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I drove an '84 190D for 6 months so my observations are probably still valid.

Its underpowered (the 190d even more so) but not horrible. Just don't expect to race and be careful pulling out into a busy street.

Oh, and they fall apart. I sold it because the driver door fell off in traffic and I decided I was done making deals with god every time I went onto the highway.

3. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I don't have one, but like you, count chocula, would love one of these as a daily driver.

Yum:
    [​IMG]

4. count chocula thread starter macrumors 6502a

count chocula

Thanks taylorwilsdon! Biodiesel is something I'm looking into right now. I don't really know a whole lot about it so far. I'd like to go SVO once I can afford the overhead. That will probably be a while after getting the car, though. I've heard they are crazy reliable, so it was pretty surprising to hear you say they fall apart. The door falling off? That's crazy :eek:

Plymouthbreezer, you have good taste! I had been hoping to get a late 80's Saab 900 turbo, but I think this will be to good to pass up. It does hit most of the things I really want in a car: Manual transmission, European, good on petro... I'll miss a turbo and general quickness, but diesel should be pretty cool. This would be far more comfortable than a 900, too. The 900's are really impressive as far as interior space goes, though, despite how small those babies are.

5. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

Did you end up getting one? Ever conver it to frybrid?

I just got an '82 240d

6. count chocula thread starter macrumors 6502a

count chocula

I didn't, actually. I ended up buying an '84 bmw 318i a year or two later. That didn't work out too well. I bought a Golf new in 2011. How's the 240? Are you going to convert it?