Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dynatos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Hey folks,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm an Electrical Engineering/Computer Science student, and have wanted to hit the Mac world ever since a close friend bought a 12" MackBook Pro last year (pre-CoreDuo).

At the time, I had no CS classes and so I chose to wait for the impending CoreDuo (Yonah) processors. Shortly after they were released, I received an 8-month internship position at a major telco, so it ended up not being needed yet.

With me heading back to school in January, a lot of money from my internship sitting in the bank, and the release of the C2D MacBook Pros, I've decided to jump on the Mac bandwagon. I'm an ADC member and am ready to hit the "purchase" button on Apple.com.

Now the issue ... I was told by an "acquaintance" to hold off on purchasing the C2D until revision 2 as there have been some issues, specifically regarding heat, creeping up with the new MackBook Pros. My acquaintance would not go into detail, but strongly suggested I wait until the issues were ironed out.

I keep tabs on this site weekly and have noticed no common complaints; there is the occasional problem, but that's always the case with new releases. In fact, heat seems to be less of a problem than in the Yonah.

So, what problems are creeping up on people?

GraceMolloy

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
Kentucky
I haven't gotten mine yet, but as you said, temps are being reported quite a bit lower than Yonah even under load.

I seriously doubt you'll see any issues with the chip itself.

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
The new Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros are really the second revision of the MacBook Pro line. Not much has been changed from the original MBP, it's an evolutionary step. Early reports seem to suggest that Apple ironed out all of the bugs from the first generation MBP.

Honestly, now seems like a good time to buy. I imagine the next upgrade to the MBP will be Santa Rosa, which is an entirely new platform. An entirely new platform will bring entirely new bugs. When the Santa Rosa MBPs come out, I'd seriously consider waiting for a revision before purchasing.

Digidesign

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
I'm an Electrical Engineering/Computer Science student, and have wanted to hit the Mac world ever since a close friend bought a 12" MackBook Pro last year (pre-CoreDuo).

There's no such thing as a 12" Macbook Pro.

Dynatos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
He means the 12" PowerBook (he did say pre-Core Duo, maybe he just wasn't aware of the name change).

Yeah, I was aware. Just a brain fart on my part.

It was the 12" PowerBook (hence the 'pre-CoreDuo').

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.