Any mice like the old beige Apple Mouse?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by martychang, Sep 22, 2007.

1. martychang macrumors regular

The first computer I ever touched was in elementary school, an old beige Powermac G3(I think). It had the lovely mouse you see here: http://webinstituteforteachers.org/2000/curriculum/homeroommodules/compBasics/MacMouse.jpg

It obviously used an old connector(most likely PS/2, but I didn't care to look in 1st grade), and doesn't have amenities of today like wheel/ball scrolling or optical/laser tracking, but I'd love to have something like this for when I get my Macbook.

Is there anything more modern like this available from other companies? If I had to find and use one of these, could I get it to work in OS X with a PS/2 -> USB adapter or something? I think it's more elegant and ergonomic than the mighty mouse, and most mice available today for that matter(they all find a way to hurt my hand).

2. bluefiberoptics macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

Why not get one of those Apple Pro mouse ones? they're shaped similar to the old one but clear so you can see the hardware.

[​IMG]

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You should be able to get it working with an adapter from whatever connection it uses to USB if you can track one down.

4. Miner Willy macrumors regular

5. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

did the same thing, i work in a lab and i found that keyspan adapter lying around and "borrowed" it. ive been rocking the old apple design keyboard too

6. theman macrumors 6502a

Try this?

I think that guy might be just slightly insane. Maybe.

7. faust macrumors regular

faust

If you want a real ergonomic mouse, buy a Logitech mouse, they are so comfortable. I'd suggest a Razer DeathAdder too, I love mine. Now, I've heard bad things about the Mighty Mouse, and it seems silly to use such an old mouse on a modern computer, so why not go to an Electronics store and see which mice on display are most comfortable for you?

8. StuPidQPid macrumors member

You're looking for the "ADB Apple Mouse II" - I googled it and found quite a few for sale on Ebay, Craigslist, etc. (BTW ADB is "Apple Desktop Bus").
    You could also try the MacAlly ADB mouse. I had one of those, and it's almost the same - if not a little better.
    You'll also need an ADB to USB converter - try the Griffin iMate

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imate/

I liked those mice too, but they inevitably wore out after a few years use.