iPad mini Any mini owners moving to the iPad air?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by i0Nic, Oct 22, 2013.

1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of selling my original iPad mini and getting an iPad air now that it's thinner and lighter. Anyone else in the same boat, are you keeping your mini or upgrading to the retina iPad mini?

2. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I am upgrading from a 4th Gen iPod Touch. Remember that even though apple said that the specs/ processor are the same in bother the mini 2 and Air, there will be increases for the Air to justify the extra $100 (as it is not only for an extra 2 inches). There was leaks that the mini 2 has 1Gb of RAM but the iPad Air will have 2Gb (I find this likely).

The GPU the iPad Air is getting is different from the 5S as the 5S was as powerful as an iPad 4 GPU wise ; and the Air is 2X that so it will most likely be the G6630 for the iPad air.

When apple revealed the 5S, the said 2X increase in graphics but in terms of Gflops, it was a 2.67X jump. So if the ipad Air's 2X jump is also this, is will perform around 205Gflops. I see the mini not being overclocked but the Air will be.

iPad Air
    A7 1.4Ghz
    2Gb RAM
    G6630 GPU

iPad mini with retina ($100 cheaper)
    Smaller screen
    A7 1.3 Ghz or 1.4Ghz
    1Gb of RAM
    G6430 over clocked GPU.

Apple have done this a few times where the make it look like 2 devices are speced the same (iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4G for example), but is turned out the iPhone 4 had twice as much RAM and a much better screen. The same will happen here as $100 is too much for just 2 inches. I will buy the Air with the hope of increased specs.

3. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

I'm going to wait for chipworks to get their hands on these machines before I make my purchase.

4. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Except that I read in on one of the threads earlier today that historically, no two same AX chips across different devices ever varied in RAM size. So if this is true, then it would be extremely unlikely.

Where are you getting these "G6630" and "G6340" model numbers from? :confused:

5. Donki macrumors newbie

Sticking with the Mini till next year, does everything I need it to, no reson for me to upgrade TBH.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What does the air give you that the mini doesn't, other then a larger form factor?

I mean you bought the mini for a reason, smaller tablet so why move to a larger tablet now.

7. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

The iPhone 5S uses a G6430 GPU. That is as powerful as the iPad 4's GPU. The iPad Air's GPU is double that again. The G6430 is the second fastest GPU made my IT, which Apple use. They either have it clocked it much higher or use the G6630, which as 6 clusters instaid of 4 clusters that the 5S uses.

8. macred macrumors regular

It's still just a tablet, no matter what they call it. A little thinner, less bulky, but nothing that is all that compelling.

9. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Perhaps because the iPad 3/4 size and weight was unacceptable, and with the Air both are reduced? I bought the mini because the 3 was too heavy. Now I'm torn between the Air and rMini.

10. st1ngo macrumors member

I have recently bought a 64gb mini for use when I go on photo assignments overseas
    It does not have a retina screen but I only want to see an image bigger than my camera screen ,I have great screens to look at the work on my return
    It takes care of mail etc
    weighs nothing
    takes up no space
    and is cheap !
    I think too many get caught up in the retina and speed thing and lose sight of how they are actually going to use it
    I also have a Colourspace back up drive for my cards which again takes up no room
    For any photographers reading this the combination of these 2 items is just brilliant !