Any Moby Fans Out There?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dmac77, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

So I've been listening to Moby a lot recently. The way I was introduced to his music is a bit weird actually; my acupuncturist plays a lot of techno/electronica during my weekly sessions with her. She played his album "Last Night" and I really liked it.

So anyways, can anyone recommend music similar to the more "clubby" feel of Moby's "Last Night?"

Thanks,

-Don

2. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

i'm afraid i don't have any recommendations, but i'm a huge fan as well. he's really an artist.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Make a Moby Pandora station. You'll find tons.

4. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

That's actually a good idea. I really haven't taken advantage of Pandora or Last.fm, thanks for the idea!

@Epsilon - I completely agree, he's really changed the perception I had of all new music sucking. I can't fathom how he has the ideas for his songs; for an average person it would take copious amounts of illegal substances:D

-Don

5. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

Lol, artists often indulge in illegal substances as well. :D

6. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I realize that, but they must have something else going on in their head, otherwise every fratboy who got baked tonight would have a hit on the Billboard 100.; or every kid who got dropped on their head as a baby would have something on the top of the charts, oh wait that's Justin Bieber.

-Don

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

No problem. I've recently made a standards station since Sirius/XM got rid of their channel and have been finding a lot of great artists.

Also, if you've ever played around with synths and audio gear it's fairly easy to come up with unique sounds, beats and rhythms. It takes talent to make it into a song though. Moby's a genius at that for sure. I love how his music puts me at ease.

8. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

That's exactly it. Whenever I listen to his music, it's like my normal stuffy boring self goes away, and I can be relaxed and a little bit crazy (do you know what I mean).

I also agree with the synths statement; taking all the different layers and putting them together and making them all work is what astounds me about him.

-Don

9. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Huge fan here as well. Also, he's not just a great artist, but a great person, too. Just check out some of his interviews on YouTube.

10. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I love 18 and the Play albums the most, although all his work is very good. I discovered him when I was looking through my Dad's CD collection - he has the 18 album! :)

11. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I love Moby. Play is excellent, and what got me into him in the first place, but I'd recommend also Play - The B Sides. 18 was good but I liked Hotel better.

Mobysongs is a great compilation of his early stuff.

12. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

13. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

This thread has reminded me to add some of his stuff to my Spotify queue :) I have a 'never-ending playlist' that I just keep adding songs to.

14. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Moby is awesome! love Porcelain, In My Heart & Flower. gonna listen to him now :)

as for Electronic/Ambient artists i recommend Air, Groove Armada, Massive Attack & Röyksopp.

15. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

If you like Moby you should also check out Paul Oakenfold & Above and Beyond.

16. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

...Moby is like Above & Beyond? Moby is more electronica/house/groove. A&B is squarely a trance group. Don't get me wrong, both are excellent.

...unless you know something about A&B I don't. Do they have more Moby-style albums out?