Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Hi there,

I'm looking for a simple and beautiful way of managing and playing my movies, documentaries and TV series on my Mac. Something like Front Row, with that typical huge interface specially made for media would be useful.

I tried installing Plex Home Theater, but I don't get it. It looks like I need to create and account and such, when all I want to do is to manage and view my videos on my Mac, not from other devices.

iTunes definitely is a no go. I only use it for what it was made for: music.

Any suggestion?

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
hi there,

i'm looking for a simple and beautiful way of managing and playing my movies, documentaries and tv series on my mac. Something like front row, with that typical huge interface specially made for media would be useful.

I tried installing plex home theater, but i don't get it. It looks like i need to create and account and such, when all i want to do is to manage and view my videos on my mac, not from other devices.

Itunes definitely is a no go. I only use it for what it was made for: Music.

Any suggestion?

+1 xbmc

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
XBMC is a very strong FREE contender for a replacement for Front Row. In the past, there was a skin that emulated Front Row.

While there is a small learning curve, the software is extremely flexible, provide excellent output of both video and audio and will work on OSX, Windows and Linux. There is also an i-app control if you desire and their site has an excellent forum for information and questions.

Plex also is a good piece of software but I admit I don't like the direction they went and a couple of really lame decisions keep me in the XBMC arena. However, there are plenty of people who do like it so to each their own and if you start with XBMC, you'll learn Plex faster later (Plex was spun off of XBMC).

apple_bite2011

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2017
Kind of new to MAC however I am not novice. I know apple has done away with the idea of a media center, however there ar e a few people out there that do not want to stream everything off of netflix, hulu etc....
The best solution that I can see so far to solve anyones media center dilemma https://kodi.tv/download/ (Kodi). Takes a little bit of tweaking but you can manipulate to work according to your preference.

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I don't think any of these alternatives will play DRM content from your iTunes library. That was a major advantage of Front Row. Now you have to buy an Apple TV for this purpose. I wonder why Aplle dropped Front Row!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.