Any Moleskine users out there?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cschreppel, Aug 1, 2007.

1. cschreppel macrumors regular

Been using mine off and on for the past year or so - both as a planner/datebook and just to jot down some ideas and thoughts.

Anyone?

2. shecky Guest

shecky

yep; i have a reasonable size stack of them filled with sketches, etc.

lately i have been a bigger fan of the Rhodia paper pads. european sizes (good for my innate sense of proportion, american paper sizes suck) and i really like the paper of the plain pads. i usually have an A4 and an A5 going at any time.

[​IMG]

3. cschreppel thread starter macrumors regular

That looks pretty cool. Haven't seen those before.

Lately though, I've been having a hard time trying to find a balance between my Moleskine and my Treo...although I'm finding that I've been using the Treo's non-phone functions less and less in favor of a more "analog" approach :)

Then again, if I switch to AT&T next June in favor of an iPhone...:D

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I'm using a Moleskine to document my latest trip to Europe. Even though I returned over three weeks ago, I am still trying to catch up.

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yup. And yup. And a definite yup.

6. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

best little notebooks ever, except...

I have been using Moleskines for about two years now, as a combination daily organizer/brainstorming canvas. I have been pleased with their paper quality and mostly with their durability...

...however I always seem to develop splits in the skin covering by the time I get to the last 1/8th of the books. As a lifelong obsessive-compulsive, this bothers me intensely. I have a neat little row of them on a shelf, and it bugs me to see the ones with electrical tape on the spines.

For sketching or quick watercolor noodlings, I use Cachet notebooks (the ones with the rainbow colored canvas covers). They hold up better to the beating of daily transportation, and make a neat color progression on my shelf.

If Moleskines were about 20% tougher, I would use them for everything.

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I use one as my general work notebook. I’m quite a fan of the pocket at the back – I always end up with lots of scraps of paper and the like, so it’s proved to be quite useful. Previously I’ve taped an envelope into the back of my notebook, but the pocket’s a bit more elegant. ;)

8. calculus Guest

calculus

I always have my little moleskine notebook with me. I first came across them some years ago on a work trip to Italy. They are the perfect notebook as far as I am concerned and I agree about the usefulness of the pocket. I've recently changed from the standard small one to the reporter style one - I find this easier to use in meetings etc.

9. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

I love Moleskine notebooks. I like the feel of them. I have this thing about books with good paper. The worst part is when you ask about them in a shop and you get a blank look because everyone in the shop calls them Moleskin. I try to avoid mentioning them if I can because I just can't bring myself to call them mole skin!! :eek:

Wikipedia - Moleskine (pronounced /m?le?skine/ or mol-a-skeen'-a)

Paperblanks do some very nice notebooks too. My favourites are the hand stitched ones.

10. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I keep one with me for sketches and things, or if I get hit with a website design idea out of the blue, but lately my iPhone has replaced my Moleskine for to-do list purposes.

11. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I haven't actually used these yet, they're too beautiful and nice. But I might one day.

They're recycled-paper notebooks from Hotwind, a Chinese fashion boutique that sells imported clothing from Polo, Ben Sherman, and some other brands. They come in white, cream, tan, brown, and dark grey, in all sorts of styles. They're all plain cream-colored paper, very rough, thick and heavy to the touch, but they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

The grey one in front is a small soft-cover notebook, and the one behind is a tan-colored hardcover. They're very high quality, trendy, and not too expensive. Perfect gift for a writer or someone who keeps a diary and keeps it old-school.

Attached Files:

12. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I use a pocket ruled Moleskine as a wallet/planner. I also have a couple of large ruled ones for general-purpose writing and for my Bible study notes (I write a paragraph or two on a passage each day). I have one pocket ruled notebook for wine tasting notes and I need to get a couple more for coffee and beer tasting notes.

I use them because they're durable and I want my notes to last a long time. There are seeds of some good books in the large notebooks, and it's nice to keep tasting notes around.

As for the wallet aspect of things, I have a duct tape "hack" that holds a few credit cards, and the back pocket holds receipts and cash. I'm a bit concerned though because I think that the extra thickness of my cards tore the binding from the flyleaf on the recto end. I think I'd like to get a cover for it, so I can continue using it for this purpose. Does anybody know of anything like this?

13. jng macrumors 65816

jng

[​IMG]

I'm on my 2nd one of these. I love them. I bought the first in Germany, because they didn't have them here and amazon sold imported ones for $20! But now I can find them at Barnes&Noble. :)

It's great. I just write appointments on the left and notes on the second, by notes I usu. mean appt details (if necessary) or more likely: to do lists.

I also have a a bunch of the regular notebooks for journals and just random notetaking. No doodling for me though.

14. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

Moleskin: the 'ipod' of sketch/notebooks!

they have pretty much everything going for them. History, tactility, portability, quality, design elegance... I'm surprised our 'Lord Jobs' hasn't taken credit for their invention in a past life. And when I discovered that little pocket... i died and went to heaven, essential for a couple of sweet little drawing aids. woo hoo!

15. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

As it turns out, the binding split entirely later on yesterday. I picked up a three-pack of the "cahier" notebooks for use as my wallet. I clip my money/cards together with it with a binder clip. I use one cahier for my planner/to-do lists/calendar and one cahier for my notes.

16. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

That's really cool. If you're a die-hard DIY-type person, then go for it...but for my money, I'd rather just buy a Moleskine :)

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I like the pocket size and use it constantly for various notes. It's cool to look back and try and decipher them!

18. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

I love them! I use them because the paper holds up so much better, you can actually water color on them without buckling.

19. Bogie macrumors regular

Yep! I use a moleskine as a journal/writing notebook.

20. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

i was actually thinking about picking up a few for note taking in class...

maybe i should just stick with a composition or spiral notebook

21. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I was thinking of doing the same, but it just wasn't a wise decision seeing as Moleskine's are expensive. I just picked up a spiral for notes in class, but I plan on picking up a small Moleskine for random ideas and notes I think up during my day.