Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Hi all,
you know how there's wordpress clubs etc, I'm wondering if someone has formed a "Pages" template club for more "grungy" street-art activist sorts of styles and templates?

I'm interested specifically in the Pages FLYERS templates with the tear-off tabs down the bottom. Generally speaking they are too "clean". ;)

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Yes, true, anyone can google around and spend an hour or so joining up with various other forums, and download their material only to discover that most of their templates are unutterably boring rubbish! But not everyone can write a good review of such an experience. ;)

Fortunately, I looked further here and found this thread, so will check this out for starters.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/742720/

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Their flyers didn't impress me much. (I'm married to a great designer anyway, but hoped to save her from my greenie posters project/hobby :eek: ).

< aside >
I'm hoping to do a poster about a local government post-oil transport scheme some are cooking up.

It involves trolley buses (which are 5 times cheaper to install than trams!) which also have diesel engines. They run on the trolley lines much of the time, but turn their biodiesel engine on when servicing side streets. Where does the biodiesel (or syngas) come from? Locally collected green waste pushed through a biochar plant!
http://eclipsenow.wordpress.com/2007/06/14/replenish-the-soil/

Then the council gets to:-
1. Be immune from the coming oil shocks
2. Have most council trucks running most of the time on wind & solar
3. Dispose of their green waste after extracting some syngas (or synfuel) from it
4. Sell the Biochar to local farmers markets, after peak phosphorus (20 years) this stuff will sell like gold!
5. Claim carbon credits for the sequestered Co2 in the biochar

< / aside >

Anyway, I thought it was worth a poster! ;)

6a00e0099229e88833011570e4b1eb970c-500wi

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Sounds like an interesting project (the bus electric/biodiesel bit). Where does the electricity come from? If the buses are running on electrical made by burning fossil fuels, then the net carbon savings are minimal. I live near Vancouver, on the Canadian west coast. Vancouver has been using electric trolley buses big time - but without the biodiesel option. The power comes from hydroelectric sources, so it is a clear transit system. I wish we could move more cars to electrical power.

I am thinking you may be in Australia... so hopefully this isn't old news to you.... and as a way to totally hijack this thread (but since we seem to be the only two people on it.... ) places in the US - notably California - started phasing out incandescent light bulbs because they generate more heat than light, and it was deemed wasteful. British Columbia got on the bandwagon, and is also phasing out incandescents in favour of compact fluorescents. However, there is a difference between BC and California. The vast majority of California is hot and they use air conditioning for much of the year, and the vast majority of BC is mild and have the heat on for good chunks of year. The other difference is that BC uses clean hydro, and California uses dirty coal to make electricity.

In California, it made no sense to burn coal to power lightbulbs that generated heat that you would then have to burn more coal to power the AC to get rid of the heat.

In BC, the excess heat from the bulbs was partly helping to heat the buildings - using hydroelectric power. In Vancouver and other main population centres most homes and buildings using heating systems fed by natural gas. So, for every heat generating light bulb removed from a building, more natural gas has to be burned to make up for loss of heat generated. We actually make more greenhouse gasses by getting rid of incandescents in Vancouver and places hooked up to natural gas lines.

Plus - CFLs have mercury in them, and you are supposed to dispose of them by taking them to a hazardous waste disposal facility.

I don't know how the overall balance works out in BC - whether overall removing incandescents is a net benefit or not - but I know that the government has not made any studies into this topic public. Which, to me, means it was getting on the bandwagon that was important to the government - not whether it actually benefited the environment.

Anyway, this long post is to make the point that one needs to look at the overall balance of changing over to a different energy source. If all that is happening is that the dirty energy is being used up in different place, and then sent down the power-lines..... well is that really an improvement? I don't know your community's situation, so this is not a comment on your particular project... Good Luck with the poster and the campaign.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.