Any more news on a late 2011 Macbook Pro Speed Bump?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nikobe, Sep 26, 2011.

  1. nikobe macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2011
    #1
    Hi all,

    Is there any more news on the rumoured processor speed bump on the MBP range? I'm in the position to buy a new macbook pro (my first in fact).

    I don't want to wait for Ivy Bridge but I was planning on waiting until this reported speed bump happens.

    Do you think it will happen or should I just go ahead and buy the current model?

    Cheers

    N
     
  2. bigjobby macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2010
    Location:
    London, UK
    #2
    Last year saw a 'silent' bump so there's a possibility they might do the same this year too.
     
  3. disarticulate macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2010
    #3
    What month was last years speed bump?
     
  4. Quinoky macrumors regular

    Quinoky

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2011
    Location:
    Groningen, Netherlands
    #4
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

    I'm in the same boat as you, but this is still anyone's guess really. Most sentiments tend to aim towards October. I'll therefore wait until late October and if no speed bump is released by then, I'll just buy the current version.
     
  5. shardey macrumors 6502a

    shardey

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2010
    #5
    It probably is only a matter of a few weeks before we see these bumps, as they did just release the updated CPU's (although it's a minimal difference).

    The 2820qm in the High end 2.3 15" and 17"
    http://ark.intel.com/products/52227

    The 2860qm, would be the small bump for the 2.3
    http://ark.intel.com/products/53476/Intel-Core-i7-2860QM-Processor-(8M-Cache-2_50-GHz)

    The 2720qm, the baseline for the 17" and for the high end 15"
    http://ark.intel.com/products/50067/Intel-Core-i7-2720QM-Processor-(6M-Cache-2_20-GHz)

    The 2760qm, the newer CPU replacing the 2720qm.
    http://ark.intel.com/products/53474/Intel-Core-i7-2760QM-Processor-(6M-Cache-2_40-GHz)


    The only differences I see are the .2 GHZ bump throughout the chip, even on turbo boost. Not really worth the wait if you really need the notebook now. As these CPU's will not be the bottleneck of your system unless you have a SATA 3 SSD and 8gb or 16gb ram.
     
  6. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #6
    Even as fast as SSDs are, they are still the bottleneck of the computer. The CPU isn't the bottleneck unless you are using an app that uses all available power.
     
  7. Quinoky macrumors regular

    Quinoky

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2011
    Location:
    Groningen, Netherlands
    #7
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that 200MHz clock increase apply to each core? Which, if this is true, would account to almost 1GHz "added" in total?
     
  8. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2010
    #8
    IMO wait to see what the refresh includes. It all depends on how much apple wants to make off the MBP during the holiday season from casual buyers. There are some glaring omissions like the lack of 1440x900 on 13" that even most consumers notice when they begin comparing systems (like mba) in store. I think it is safe to assume the margin on a MBP is higher due to its greater amount of traditional hardware.

    I'm in the same boat, and I really still can't get over the lack of hi-res screen option for the 13".
     

Share This Page