Any move from a Nexus 5 to a 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theromz, Mar 17, 2014.

1. theromz macrumors regular

So for a long time I didn't like the design of iOS and I moved to Android (around 4.0, before that Android was ugly). iOS7 fixes that for me and I really enjoy it. There where also a lot of features I loved about Android, the biggest one for me was background sync, I briefly switched to the iPhone 5 and I missed it so much. I use gmail and tend to reply/read all my mail during my train rides, catch up on my pocket queue and so on. None of which sync'd on iOS so unless I remembered to open the app then I had no data.

iOS7 now has background syncing of apps, and gmail recently got on board which is a big win. So most of my issues have been answered now. I also got a 13" rmbp this November around the time I got my Nexus 5 and they just don't work together at all, which has recently pushed me towards the iPhone.

So the biggest issue now is screen size, I love having a 5" display, I don't take my tablet out with me much since I tend to also have my laptop so the screensize is 1 point where I think I won't like, but I thought I would ask yours too see how they have done with it so far.

2. recklesslife85 macrumors 6502

recklesslife85

I have both and I'll keep this simple and short. Stick with the Nexus 5 right now, I love my 5S but 6 isnt far away. Worth waiting and hope for that bigger screen.

3. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

What doesn't play well with your Macbook? Gmail, calendar and the like should all work just fine. But I agree with the above poster, there's no use in upgrading now. The downgrade in screen size will be painful, especially if you email a lot from your phone. I would just hang on to it for a few more months, especially since it isn't even a bad phone to begin with.

A 4.7 inch iPhone would be a beautiful thing.....

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

What about the iPhone will work better with your macbook than your android device does/did? There are relatively few applications on OSX that work in tandem with iOS. Realistically the only thing that comes to mind is notes... everything else will sync back and forth to a google account.

Not trying to talk you out of it, just don't see how the iPhone is going to work better with your Mac.

----------

Beat me to it!

5. theromz thread starter macrumors regular

Mostly its that I can't just plug in a USB and see my stuff, I tend too transfer a lot of media from my laptop too my phone. Everything else works just fine. I tried using Android file transfer but it just freezes my laptop every time I use it so I'm forced to use WiFi to transfer stuff and the USB is just faster and easier too do.

Apart from that I wanted to sync podcasts and I could only find 1 solution. I do enjoy Android more on a phone so I just wanted to see how other users experienced switching.

I think I will just wait for the iPhone 6, gives me time to save since Ill buy it sim free. I get 14 days to see how I like it too so it should be fine.

6. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

There are benefits to having all your devices in the same ecosystem. Don't let these android guys steer you in the wrong direction! You have a great plan waiting for the 6 and 14 day trial period.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I have both currently. The nexus 5 is the better media consumption device (bigger, better screen). The 5s is easily the better phone (Better call quality, better speakers, better reception). The 5s also has a much better camera.

It really depends what you do with your phone. For most people, the 5s will allow you to do anything you need so some of the benefits to the "openness" of android are useless.

Do you have a tablet? Do you care more about a phone being smaller and functioning better as a phone? There are a lot of questions you need to ask yourself, but you cannot go wrong with either one.

8. Caesars macrumors regular

I know exactly what you mean OP, I had a nexus for a few months (and must say it's an awesome device), I would just keep it until a 5 inch iPhone is launched. Hopefully apple releases one.....:I'm over this 4 inch-good for not much screen.

9. theromz thread starter macrumors regular

Thinking I will give that a try, it just seems a bit easier to have everything connected a bit more.

Reception shouldn't be any different should it, AFAIK they all use the same chips and and any difference should be small. Also IDC about openness, its just a stupid excuse I find. iOS is open too, I can jailbreak it and I probably will if I get it, there are stuff I want to change on each OS to meet my specify needs and that isn't an issue.

The biggest things holding me back till now was the coreOS, I like how Android has better background tasks, e.g. pocket downloads all my stories in the background on Android, gmail actual downloads the email when its get a notifcaiton. It is clearly small things but it made a difference for me.

I have an iPad air so I tend to have that with me too, but I think I would switch to a N7 as I mostly just use it too watch anime if I get a iPhone. That way I still have a lot of the great apps that are iOS exclusive and a smaller tablet thats better for my main tasks.

Hahaha I think I will cheers.

Thanks for the feedback guys :).