Any MR users own a Mustang? Help me!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AppleGuy2, Aug 23, 2007.

1. AppleGuy2 macrumors newbie

Hey there, just wandering, any Ford Mustang owners here on the MR forums? Im thinking about buying one this weekend. My Honda Accord has about 17,500 trade in value because its only got 21,000 miles, and i kept it in pristine order. The stang is only $21,000 something. Anywhoo, im thinking about getting the 2008 model, V6 in either white or black. So, those of you with mustangs, tell me how you like them! Please!

2. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I personally am not a big fan of mustangs or ford. My dad ocasuibakky has them on biz trips and says there not very fun to drive even with the v8 (this is coming from a guy that drives a slow heavy Land Rover Discovery and a POS 1998 Cutlass as his commuter car) and they're not very comfortable either.

You should look at a honda s2000, i hear they are amazing to drive.

I know people that stand by their stangs though.

3. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I wouldn't buy the Mustang. I am sure it is a good vehicle, but it represents everything that is wrong at Ford. 1) Rear live axle. 2) Dated motor. Even the LS1 F-bodies are more powerful then the GT and faster I believe. I would keep the Accord for another year and take a look at the Camaro and the updated Mustang. Hopefully Ford addresses some of the things bad about the Mustang.

4. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Stick with the honda, since you don't put a lot of miles on it, it will last you forever.
    Now that mustang might not make it to 21,000 miles without some issues... :D

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Yeah, a faulty cruise control switch might burn the whole neighborhood down( poor Ford can't get rid of that problem). :p Seriously, the American auto companies have improved in quality dramatically. To deny them that credit at least should be considered a felony( well Ford and GM, not sure about Chrysler). ;)

6. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I don't recall him asking for the opinions of those that don't have Mustangs, I believe he specifically asked for the opinions of those that do have them.

So hush up all you Ford and Mustang haters! :p ;)

I'm definitely a Mustang Man. I used to have an '89 LX 5.0 and absolutely loved that car, but I ended up selling it because I moved out of my dad's house and couldn't afford the insurance anymore. :(

I haven't gotten a new one yet because prior to the current model, I didn't really care for the design very much. But the current design is just incredible to me. I love it in every way. It's got the look and feel of an old muscle car, but it's still modern.

I say definitely go for it. I know three people who have the new V6 models and there hasn't been a problem on any of them.

As far as the comfort level is concerned, I've driven both V6 and V8 models and I was perfectly comfortable in them both.

I would go for the black model though. Of course I hate white cars, so I'm bias.

7. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I don't actually own a Mustang, but I have family members who own them, and have been in them quite a bit.

One of the things I noticed was the overall build quality of the interior, feels kinda cheap, especially if you've owned an Accord. I also find that there's a lack of headroom [Then again I'm ~6'2"]

I can't really say much about the design aspects, as thats pretty subjective.

BTW, what year is your Honda?

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Looks like someone got offset by a key there, eh?

:D

9. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Yea I don't know what it is today, but I am having trouble typing hahah.

*Occasionally

Anyways to the OP I would suggest sticking with your Honda. They're great cars and run forever. Mustangs are cheaply made and really not that cool of cars. If you live in a place where it snows, you're be wishing you had your FWD and not RWD.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

If you live in a snowy area, I recommend AWD over FWD. Going up a snowy hill in a FWD car means a good portion of the weight gets shifted towards the back, off the drive wheels. With AWD, that's not a problem because every wheel is a drive wheel. :cool:

Anyways, a V6 in a Mustang is like an ARM processor in a Mac. How much do you still owe on the Accord? If you haven't paid it off yet, you should probably wait until you do, or at least until the balance of the loan is significantly less than the car's value.
    Now, if you paid cash for the Honduh, go for it, I guess.

[subliminal]Get a WRX or STi![/subliminal]

11. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

My brother had a mustang for a while.... It was his first car and utter hell. It pooped out after 100k miles and had to be towed away.

first the AC went (very very bad in Houston), then the power steering... neither one could get fixed. He sunk a good $5k into a car he got for $800.

Good luck with whichever car you choose. :)

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I think you should test a few different cars out before deciding. Mustangs are fun but they're not always favorited for long-term likeability and moreover, reliability. Be sure to read up on consumer reports and such.
    Being as you are trading in a Honda, maybe consider an S2000? They're brilliant cars. :)

13. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I bought mine in January 2001 (it's a 2000 model) and have had it ever since. It got new tires about 5,000 miles ago, but so far that's it in the way of repair/replacement. It's reliable if you take care of it properly, which I do religiously. Oil, filters, etc. on schedule whether they need it or not, and I don't overtax it or drive like a maniac. Not to say I have the best driving habits, but I do try (it was the first new one I've ever bought on my own so it's still special). Poor driving habits will eat up a car's lifespan quickly no matter the make/model.

Don't get the V8 - it's just not worth it in terms of added price and with gas costing as much as it does these days. Also get the manual transmission if you can drive it; you can get slightly better gas mileage (as in +1 or +2 mpg) and they're about $1000 cheaper than the automatic to boot.

14. bartelby macrumors Core

e can tell you how good they are...

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

your what? (s2000 or mustang?) I assume you mean s2000 as you didn't speak positively about the fuel guzzling V8 of the 'stang. :p

I know some of the mustang owners may defend it but I'm just speaking statistically and personally, as I prefer the Honda.

yeah, I know. :rolleyes: (I've been in it)

16. bartelby macrumors Core

I know you know how good they are, I meant e could tell other people...

17. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

oh :eek: right, ok. I thought you were just being silly.

Cue e...

18. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I like the current Mustang, but not completely; the back end looks like it's a big puffy disposable diaper. When you compare the back end to that of a '68 or '69 Mustang, the older Mustang looks much more lean in comparison. The back end of the current Mustang kind of strikes my as a clay model that wasn't finished being carved out yet. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's my feeling about it ascetically. :eek:

The previous generation that ended in 2004 I like much better. :)

19. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

So many negative replies here. I won't add to that.

I LOVE the mustang. I have had 3 so far, a 68 Fastback GT, a 75 Mach 1, and an 89GT. Reliability was only a problem with the 68 — wet weather and points just didn't always get along. You didn't mention where you live...I'm in New England, and I've driven all these cars in the snow. Are they a handful...yes. They all would have benefited from snow tires. But as long as I wasn't driving in snow over 4" deep, and I was careful, I managed to get where I needed to. Rear wheel drive wasn't an issue, in fact I enjoy it! All 3 Mustangs had 302 V-8's. Mileage varied, but usually in the 15-18mpg range. I have since restored my 89GT and use it only in fair weather, about 8 months a year. My 89 hasn't seen the mechanic in almost 5 years! I've put on subframe connectors, a Cobra bumper, a Cervini nose, lowered springs and suspension, larger rims & tires and a fresh paint job. She still turns heads daily. Learn to drive a standard, you'll never look back! Above all, the Mustang is FUN! Far too often, people get disconnected with driving. The car is often seen as a way to get from point A to point B. The Mustang makes the trip a pleasure, something to enjoy. The only weak spot I've had with all these cars has been the heater core.

Ford has improved the quality of their manufacturing in the past few years. The Mustang is their flagship vehicle, just check out all the variations and independent builders: Shelby, Saleen, Rousch, McLaren. The stats on these cars are amazing, however the price also reflects that. The Mustang is a great base car to modify and personalize. The aftermarket is a tremendous resource, whether you want engine modifications, body packages, or suspension alterations. The online community is also second to none, I have found so many knowledgeable people to provide advice and suggestions.

There's so much to like with the new Mustangs. They have an aggressive appearance that is very striking. I partially agree with MacDrive regarding the tail end of the new 'stang, but I take issue with the puffy diaper comment. The rear is actually very similar to the 1970 Mustang. I would have preferred something reminiscent to the 68 but you can't have everything! My dream is to get the Shelby GT500.

20. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

new apple keyboard ?? :D

just kidding

21. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Mustang. I suppose I should have made that a bit clearer. It's no gas sipper either, but then again gas could be had for half of what it is today when I bought it.

22. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I take issue with that. ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Keep the accord especially if your only going to get the v6 don't get a muscle car with anything less than a V8

not saying you shouldn't get a mustang just don't get one WITHOUT a V8 engine otherwise it will disappoint you

like the one I completely demolished at the track ;) with my volvo :D

24. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I don't doubt that reliability for American car companies has improved (they wouldn't have any business otherwise, except for the die hard ford/GM/Chrysler supporters); but they are still miles behind Toyota and Honda

25. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Ford has improved due to the new cars, and when you eliminate the crap like the Focus and some of the dependability pits like the trucks -- you get Mercury and Buick, which ranks higher in 3 year dependability than Honda.

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2007130

As far as the Mustang, the new one seems to be tied with the Crown Vic.

So that means it should tend to get you where you are going, nearly all the time. Though squeaks, rattles, and interior/body parts falling off and breaking may annoy you. ;)