Any NEC MultiSync 2490WUXi reviews?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jwt, Feb 28, 2009.

1. jwt macrumors 6502

Can someone point me to a good review geared toward photographers? Google turns up nothing but s**t.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

Look here. :)

I also have one, and have no complaints. :D Worth the $$$ IMO, and the street prices have come down. Refurbs are available, and that's how I bought mine. It works, and I haven't had any real problems.

I've had two small issues. One was the graphics card drivers running it at less than native resolution. Now fixed. The second, is a tiny black spec in the screen. It looks like it's between the pixels and the backlighting. (It doesn't look like dead pixels to me). Not too bad actually, as it's not in the middle (1" from top, 6" in from left, and very small. I have to look for it to find it, though it's not too hard when looking in the right spot, especially on a light background. I could possibly fix it, if I opened it up, but haven't yet, as it would almost certainly void the extended warranty I bought with it. Too lazy to return it. :p

3. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I knew you'd chime in Nanofrog....!

You can also go to www.cnet.com to check out the plethora of reviews for monitors and other gadgets.

4. jwt thread starter macrumors 6502

That link points to a review of the HP LP2475w, by the way. And that site doesn't have a review of the NEC I'm interested in. But that's the kind of review I'd like to see. Thank you.

5. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

www.cnet.com do a search

Google.com do a search for "name of monitor" and "reviews"

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Sorry about that. :eek:

tftcentral will release one soon. They get in depth, so you might want to take a look periodically.

The other link I was after isn't showing up when I search. :confused:

7. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I am a photographer and own that model of NEC. I actually got the model that includes the SpectraView software and calibration puck (it is a rebranded Eye1-Display2). If you look at my past posts you will see that I have been praising this monitor for about a year. I have two stuck pixels in the very bottom left corner that I never notice so I didn't send it back for warranty. Everything on this monitor has performed perfectly and the colors are spot on. I do a calibration every 45-60 days.
    I don't know about any great professional reviews but there a lot of good photographers using it if you check some of the photo forums. Also there has been a ton of chatter on the HardForum ( http://www.hardforum.com/ ) where you can glean plenty of information.

8. jwt thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, is that how you search? Thank you so much. Please re-read my initial claim. Google turns up crap. I even used various terms that I would expect to be in a good, in-depth review, like "black depth" and so on, and that yield exactly zero hits. The cnet review is drivel aimed at the mainstream. I want a real review aimed at photographers, like you'd see on TFT central, or something like that.

9. jwt thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I really like that site. They have some really informative discussions there, but good monitors like this one tend to have threads like 100 pages long, and I don't have all the time in the world. I know a lot of people like this monitor, but I tend to like to see a good review showing panel uniformity numbers as well other stuff that's hard to represent in a discussion. I like to see graphs and numbers. Also, I just sent back a HP LP2475w because it caused a lot of eye strain. Since the NEC has the same panel, although with a polarizer and different backlight, I am wondering if the same problem would present itself in this monitor as well. I'd just like to thoroughly study this monitor before I commit to another purchase. I had to pay 15% restocking plus shipping once. I'd like not to do that again.

10. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Relax pal.

After a certain point you aren't going to get high end reviews, or they will be hard to find. Tom's hardware is a good start, but after you hit that wall, you're going to have to look at the specs and do the research yourself instead of waiting for someone to just hand over your answer.

Besides the review, what else are you looking to find out about the panel that can't be gleaned off of the tech specs and basic reviews?

And if you are going to use TFT central as an example, it seems that you already know where to go to get the information you want.

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

Exactly. :)

I didn't find much in the way of formal e-published reviews. It took time, but I read through various forum posts to find out what I could, including MR.

Forum posts, newegg reviews, and comparing spec sheets can tell you a lot. It takes time though, so you're going to have to bite the bullet, and wade through it jwt.

You can also try reading reviews/posts... of a similar model, such as the LCD2690WUXi. A review or two was written on them. Slightly more available than the 2490 IIRC. Not the same panel, but similar type. Same electronics and backlighting. Similar QC to determine if you'd get a high rate of defective pixels (dead/stuck).

12. jwt thread starter macrumors 6502

I appreciate your time guys, but you guys seem to think I've just come here looking for a hand-out without doing any actual legwork, which is completely wrong. I've read countless posts in forums and I know the specs of the display. If that was the advice I was after I would have asked for it. I asked for a "good review geared toward photographers," and if you couldn't produce it, you shouldn't have posted here.

Nanofrog, I appreciate your helpful attitude, but at the end of the day, you're not giving me what I want, and instead basically telling me things I already know, sorry to say. Also, the 2690 has a different backlight which makes it a wide-gamut display. The 2490 is only 72% or so of the NTSC gamut, if memory serves me correctly. Also, the two monitors have the same resolution, but the 2690 is larger. So in the case of the 2690, the dot pitch is a little larger than my liking.

Digital Skunk, basically you annoyed me from the start with your condescending attitude, and haven't stopped since. I don't need someone to reply to my post, not answer my question, try to teach me how to search google like I'm some kind of idiot, and then tell me to calm down.

Tech specs already led me to the HP LP2475w, which on paper beats anything out there for the price, and is exactly what I was looking for. But tech specs don't tell you that there is a magenta color cast on the left and a green one on the right. They also don't tell you that this monitor produces a lot of eye-strain. Tech specs are often "created" by the marketing dept.. Contrast ratio is one specific one that is often falsified.
    All that means is that I didn't get the information I wanted where I looked. That's why I'm here asking for help.

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

Such a review does not exist, or it would have turned it up. :(

I only saw 2 reviews that had any information, and the second (CAD site), was very short. No testing whatsoever.
    I know the pitch is larger. It's one of the reasons I didn't go with it. But IIRC, the backlighting is the same (CCFL-W).

By chance are you referring to the 2690WUXi2-BK?
    Newer version.

14. jwt thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, there have been times in the past when something didn't show up in google that really did exist, and after asking the right people, I was provided a link. A lot of times a google search for "Product A review" turns up a bunch of pricegrabber-type links now-a-days. So, I guess I'm starting to lose faith in google.

Ah, you're right on both accounts. Interestingly, on Amazon.com, the specifications of the WUXi are mistakingly those of the WUXi2, and that's why I was misinformed. NEC no longer has info on the original 2490 on the main 90-series page. It's been replaced with the WUXi2, and I never noticed the 2 when I read about it in the past. I'll check in to that monitor. Thank you.

15. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Sorry you felt that way. But I can't help how you read my post.

But Nano and I have been doing the best we can. Sorry if we can't give you what you want.

And sorry you can't take my honesty, the truth does hurt, and Google does suck when it comes to searching for obscure pages, but that's why you learn how to pull info together, and use the tools in the information age to make your decision based on what is available.

Searching a Mac Rumors forum will give you what you got, if you don't want to hear it, then don't post, or close the thread and move on.

p.s. If I you're reading my post to be condescending, then I am just sorry. That's not something I can change in you.

p.p.s. Not to drag anyone else into this tiny quibble, but others have asked others for advice on displays, have gotten less than what you have, read the same reviews and checked the same specs, and have made sound decisions.

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

Searching takes patience sometimes. Experience helps, as you'll get better in time. Unfortunately, it isn't always easy, nor quick. :(

Forums can be a good source of information, but the answers may not be available, or forthcoming. You take what you can get, and hope it helps aim you in the right direction. :D

I looked at NEC's site, and noticed the 2490 is still the LCD2490WUXi-BK, while the 26" has changed to the LCD2690WUXi2-BK. I would expect the 2490 to be updated soon.

17. jwt thread starter macrumors 6502

Is that how you save face, by painting yourself as honest and me as someone who misinterprets every point and lacks the experience and resourcefulness to search for information? You have a serious superiority complex. I really don't like you, and every successive one of your posts strongly reinforces that feeling. Please stop posting here. Is that honest and unambiguous enough for you?

18. jwt thread starter macrumors 6502

19. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Or maybe you're the one with the problem, thinking that someone's correct statements and judgements are a superiority complex simply because you don't know how to use the internet.

It seems that you found your forum just fine, with little help from Nano and I.

So why are you here again?

It's your arrogance that tells me to stop posting on a public forum! Are you some kind of Web Jim Crow supporter or something? Is this the jwt only post?

Or how about you ignore my posts.

And it's seriously not my fault that you don't get it, but it seems that everyone else does. :rolleyes: