Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boombox15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Do I need an iPad Air 2 if I have an iPhone 6S Plus on pre-order? I already have a iPhone 6 Plus right now (I upgrade every year) but with the big phone screen, would an iPad benefit me in anyway? I have tried out the new multitasking and it seems really cool, but I am not sure if I truly need it, I don't want to waste money on it. I also have a 12 inch MacBook for reference.

Thoughts?

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
I'd say it depends on your usage and needs. Are you on your phone a lot? Do you prefer the bigger screen of the MacBook? At first, I had no need for an iPad. Then I got one mainly as an e-reader and photo album to go with my Apple ecosystem. Over a year after I got it, I was using it almost exclusively at home. My MBP is on my desk on a charger 6 days out of the week. My 6+ is great for when I am not home, but rarely gets used when I am at home. My iPad is my main device even I initially got it to read an hour a night or so.

If you spend a good deal of time on your other devices, you'll get use out of it.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
I use my 6 Plus 99 percent of the time if I'm not on my 15" rMBP. I sold my Air 2 to a family member and bought an Apple Watch. I didn't miss it until I sold it but when I had it I probably used it four hours in 10 months. I love my setup of my rMBP, 6 Plus, and Apple Watch. That's the perfect setup for me. I personally don't have a need for a tablet. All I did on iPad was browse the web and the trouble going through the apps, etc wasn't worth the hassle. My setup now is perfect for me. Also it fits into my pocket. If I had a 6S Plus I wouldn't get an iPad but that's just me. Different people have different needs and I like to keep my bag light.

lusheslewis

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
It depends where and how you will use them. The Air 2 is a brilliant portable device and much nicer to use than a 6+ but it won't fit in your pocket and your MacBook will be better when at a desk. Of course they won't always be replacing each other, you can use them together which I often do.

So I think if you find yourself away from your desk a lot (or would like to be away from your desk more) and carrying it around isn't an issue then you will get a lot of use from an iPad.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
I still use my air 2 and on a regular basis even though I have a 6 plus and 15" MacBook Pro retina.

75% of the time I'm on my iPad if I'm at home. If I'm listening to music or looking up something quickly then I use my 6 plus. MacBook is used for gaming, productivity, etc.

I did sell my iPad and I ended up missing it. That's when I bought the air 2.

Reasons to use air 2 over 6 plus:

Larger screen 9.7" vs 5.5"
Stereo speakers
Tablet apps
Multitasking gestures
Split view
Picture in picture

Reactions: Billy95Tech

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
Go mini or save your money. Sounds like you want an in between device. If you're not a power user, Mini 2, 3 or even 4 if you want the most recent should suffice. Portability of the Mini is key, great traveling device, even when at home. If you're sold on multitasking, the Mini 4 can do the same as the Air 2 and so can the Mini 3 (minus split view). If you don't need an iPad though, I'd recommend to not purchase one...or wait until some Black Friday sales.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
If you have the 6s plus no need for the ipad mini, go for ipad air2 or like me for the pro with tha hardware you can keep it for 2-3 years

Reactions: Billy95Tech

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Depends on how much money you have, and consequently how small a use-niche you can afford. There are folks on this forum who buy a MacBook Air to use on the couch, a rMBP to use at the desk, an iPad Air for the bedroom and a iPad Mini for traveling along with upgrading to a new iPhone every year. Blessed they be.

I just cover all of these use cases with just an iPhone and an iPad Mini.

ivnmetal

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2014
But not all you can do with that macbook air
I would say it's just for convenience sake. I have a MBPr 13" and a iP6s+ and very happy with both devices. No need for an iPad. but just last week I purchased an iPad Air 2 for $280 (sealed) on craigslist and couldn't help to buy it. I figured it'll become my portable "tv".

BuddyRich

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Can you install ipad version apps on the 6(s) plus like you can install phone apps on ipads? i know the new mail app has a wide view. Sometimes i prefer tablet app uis as they make better use of more space (and AR).

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I love having an Air 2 even though I have a 6s+.

I play puzzles, games, and educational items all the time with my son on the Air 2 and it keeps his grimy paws of my slippery saddle brown leather phone. He can manage the Air 2 better so we work from that.

I also find with the Apple Watch and my Air 2 for couch use, my phone battery goes almost 2.5 days if I wanted it to. I love that flexibility of choices in my devices.

unclemax

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
It’s definitely more enjoyable to play games on an iPad. Of course, I don’t mean Candy Crush or Angry Birds, but more involved games like eg. Space Marshals. Some of the games are not even available for an iPhone, e.g. Papers, Please is iPad only.

Also, iPad with cellular capabilities is just great for travel. It’s not as clunky as a laptop, so you can easily pull it out in a bus or train and surf the web.

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
Based on what you have at this moment you should look at a Mini 4. Easier to hold and browse with while at home when compared to a iPhone 6S+ or your Mac. Same as when you are outside.

The + size phones still use mobile rendering and you'll be hopping in and out of apps. The mini 4 will give you portability and multitasking.

And yeah, if you can swing an extra $10 a month for data PLUS the up front cost of a LTE model, definitely do it. A LTE mini 4 is amazing when you're out and about.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
I have an Air 2 and 6s Plus. While some of my iPad use has shifted to the Plus (was original Plus owner as well), it's only a small amount and really only in situations where a phone makes more sense anyway.

I still use my Air 2 at least a couple hours a day, but I do a train commute so that's a big part of it.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Plus and air is a great combo

Don't see how anybody could be happy doing more browsing on the phone than the iPad

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Still can't run iPad apps on a 6+.

If you want the "best" media consumption experience the bigger screen is the way to go.

That being said if you already have a laptop you might want an iPad more than you need one.

321estrellas

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
Depends on what you use it for...I'm using my iPad as a baby monitor and I wouldn't want to tie up my phone by using it as a monitor, so a separate device is the way to go for me.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

MarcoCapa

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2013
Definitely you have to buy the two devices... From a recent Apple skeptic ( I own both... With rMBP 13 great combo)

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
I have the 6 plus and Air 2 combo and the Air 2 comes in handy. It's nice to take some of the load off my phone and use the Air 2 when I get home.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Do I need an iPad Air 2 if I have an iPhone 6S Plus on pre-order?
We can't tell you that. You have to determine that for yourself. My wife uses a 6s Plus, Air 2 and a MBA. YMMV.

I have tried out the new multitasking and it seems really cool, but I am not sure if I truly need it, I don't want to waste money on it.
You can read all you want but the best way to answer your question is first hand experience. Take it for a spin and decide before your return period runs out. It's not a matter of the equipment itself. Not all 6s Plus owners are going to agree as their needs/wants/preferences are not all identical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.