Any need for Windows and Iwork

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NYY BoileruP, Apr 23, 2010.

1. NYY BoileruP macrumors newbie

SCREWED UP THE TITLE - MEANT TO PUT OFFICE!

I just order my first Mac and was very impressed with the Iwork suite on the website so I purchased it. Is there any need to have Office installed as well, I can get a student price so it is not that costly but I am starting to feel that might be a waste of space and money altogether.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You only need Windows if you have apps that don't run on Mac OS X.

3. kyleh613 macrumors regular

Don't get the Mac version of Microsoft Office, it is horrible. Instead get the Windows version if you can.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, it's not. I use Office 2008 heavily every day and I have zero issues with it. What do you consider "horrible"? And the OP didn't ask about MS Office. They asked about Windows.

Edit: I see they've now edited their post. There's no need for both iWork and Office. Each has their strengths. Office is better for advanced spreadsheet work and compatibility with Windows users. Keynote, I understand, has some advantages over PowerPoint.

To the OP: You can edit your thread title by clicking the "Edit" button by your first post, then click "Go Advanced".

5. NYY BoileruP thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you GGJstudios

I do apologize for confusion in the original post and appreciate your response on both since I have been researching both topics recently.

So for someone in finance you would suggest the office suite as well based on the fact that spreadsheets come more naturally.

Would you recommend waiting until the new Office is released later this year even though I will have to pay full price, it does look like they made a plethora of nice improvements.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you can wait, it's always good to get improvements. Hopefully, the newer version won't be buggy or a pain to navigate, as was the transition from Office 2003 to 2007 on the Windows side. That damn ribbon toolbar makes things a pain to find! I hope they don't include that in Office for Mac, but I haven't taken the time to look at what they have planned.

Yes, if your focus is finance, I'd opt for Office over iWork.

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

For someone in finance you don't want either Office 2008 or iWork's Numbers. You will want to run Windows (Bootcamp/Parallels/Fusion) plus Windows Office because Excel 2008 has been de-featured. I haven't seen any word about the missing analysis features being restored in the upcoming 2010 version.

8. loganck macrumors newbie

Anyone who buys Office now is eligible for a free upgrade when the new version comes out (June).

9. NYY BoileruP thread starter macrumors newbie

That is great news! Looks like I'll be purchasing Office and possibly not even installing it until the new one comes out. Maybe force myself to get acquainted with Iwork for a few months.