Any negatives of using gfxcardstatus for forcing igpu use?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dk808, Jan 10, 2017.

1. dk808 macrumors 6502a

Just wondering, is it bad to always have gfxcardstatus force my mbp to use only igpu? Im not playing any games or anything but the dgpu turns on whenever i use spotify and ableton live which drains battery and makes the mbp hotter.

I can just remember to turn gfxcardstatus on whenever i use these apps but having it always on would be much easier for me

2. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

Which MBP do you have?

I thin gfxcardstatus stopped being able to force ugly usage for new macs a few years ago? May be wrong about that, but swear I remember reading something about it.

3. dk808 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have the 2016 mbp and it works for me

4. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

Interesting. I thought it allows you to select one or the other, but doesn't actually affect which one is being used.

5. Antairez macrumors regular

Antairez

Yes, you will be wasting money and carrying around a useless piece of stone called dGPU.

JK, I don't think there will be any side effects.

6. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

7. dk808 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ableton Live and Spotify are not on the dependency list so igpu only mode works. Also I do not use a external display

8. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've only used it sparingly mostly to see how things worked on the iGPU.

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I don't see why you'd want to to be honest but hey it's your compute r do what you want with it..

11. jerryk macrumors 68040

Have people asked Spotify and other companies why there apps use the dGPU?

Until we do the developers will not recode the apps to minimize dGPU usage. So file a bug report and put in the details on how to produce the issue. As a developer I can tell you 99% of time when someone gives you an easily reproducible issues you can figure out why it occurs and determine if you can fix it, and it so, how to fix it.

12. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

I use it on my 2012. I have one specific instance where I need to force the integrated GPU (well, 2). I have a couple Steam games that, while they run fine on the integrated graphics, run better on the dGPU. However, there is a bug in either the game or the graphics driver (specifically OpenGL according to the game developer) that causes the games to crash. Force integrated and they run perfectly.