Any new graphic cards?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ArmouredGuitar, Feb 1, 2009.

1. ArmouredGuitar macrumors member

Hey guys,

I am looking to replace my POS x1900 for my mac pro. I am just wondering if there are any new cards coming out soon, or is it safe to buy one on the market right now that is currently out?

Looking for a top end card, pretty much just for playing high end games on max settings. Any suggestions what to get or wait for?

I am on a first gen 2.66ghz macpro.

Any suggestions would be great,

Thanks AG,

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Apple and the third parties are still stuck in 2007 when it comes to graphics cards. Suck it up with a nice midrange 3870/8800GT or keep waiting.

3. ArmouredGuitar thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the speedy reply,

Has there been any announcements for upcoming cards?

And out of the 2 current cards you listed, which one is superior?
    and one more quick question; where does one find a 3870, Don't see it on apples website.

Thanks,
    Ag

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

8800GT for gaming and HD3870 for Core Image performance. Keep in mind these two cards are from 2007 so they rate midrange instead of high end now.

The HD48xx Series was announced to be coming to the Mac but nothing has been said since.

5. ArmouredGuitar thread starter macrumors member

I m swinging towards waiting, one more quick question for you,
    Can macpro's use dual graphic cards or greater?, to up the performance?

Thanks,
    Ag

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

OS X does not current support Crossfire nor SLI.

7. ArmouredGuitar thread starter macrumors member

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

CrossFire works under Windows but you'd need the bridge to do so. I'd seriously wait for the HD48xx.

I'm incredibly impressed at my $99 4830 this year vs. my $179 3850 last year.

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

This thread makes me sad. I have the x1900 also but it's feeling sluggish as of late. I'm contemplating buying a Windows box just to get a good graphics card. It seems Apple doesn't care about gaming all that much and doesn't even bother with new vid cards. There's really nothing for me to upgrade to I don't think...

10. roybfr macrumors member

I finally broke down and bought a HD 3870 for my Clovertown MacPro as my XT1900 is on the fritz. It is a little frustrating having to pay 2x the price for a card then I would if it would have been for the PC. I never expect there to be the selection for the mac there is for the PC but it would be nice if your choices we not both out dated and over priced. The change of graphics in the new Macbooks give me some hope, while they were not the fastest out there they sure were a move in the right direction.

11. ArmouredGuitar thread starter macrumors member

Where did you find a HD 3870? i swear they don't exist here in Canada, even the guys at the apple store in my town have never seen one, just rumors of them existing, btw how much did you pay?

12. justit macrumors 6502a

13. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I sprung for the 3870 yesterday also from OWC... it's on my doorstep right now. Please don't steal it!

I also bought the Samsung 305T which should arrive tomorrow... 1 30" and 2 20" monitors on my Mac Pro...

14. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Yeah, go for it. I quit waiting for the next big thing and am glad I took the plunge a few months back with a 3870 on my 2.66. I'd still be waiting, and I took the original stock that allowed me to run 3 LCD's. The 3870 and third LCD has made me far more productive. "Bird in the hand is worth two in the tree", as they say.

I wonder if the economic slow down is going to throttle back the development and release of new products?

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's looking like it. :(

Component fabs are shutting down, and manufacturers are reducing the number of parts they will continue to produce. This trend will almost certainly occur with end product manufacturers. :( Long term projects will likely remain in place, but the schedule may be adjusted as their financial situations are re-examined. For now, anyway. :eek: ;)

16. roybfr macrumors member

I got it from OWC, $219 for the card + s/h.

17. ArmouredGuitar thread starter macrumors member

18. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Nice 30", and a S-PVA panel, whose 20" monitors are you using? Model's ?

19. Wormy23 macrumors member

Chaos123x gave a direct link for Canada...

The first site you listed is the Canada site and the second is the US site. The card is on both sites but it's listed under the "GAMER" section.

20. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The 20"s are from Dell... 2005FPW and 2007WFP I believe.

I got the 30" yesterday... so much bigger in person. With the 2 20"'s flanking the left and right sides vertically it looks like a giant window with shutters... hrmmm.... that gives me an idea for my new backgrounds!

21. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

What about running dual cards? I was just reading in another thread that it's possible to run a 4850 for Windows and, in my case, keep the 2600 as the default for OSX. My monitor has two inputs so switching source A/B isn't a big deal for me. Any disadvantages to running a 4850 for Windows use only? What about the fan noise? Do the brands matter much (sapphire, asus, etc.)? It seems like a good deal for around $150 to get better performance than you'd get from a 3870 as opposed to around $220.