Any new iMac's in Scotland for viewing?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by craig1410, Aug 10, 2007.

1. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Hi,
    I've been waiting for the new iMac's and now they are here, given the subjective nature of the glossy display, I want to see one before I buy. Does anyone know where in Scotland I might be able to see an iMac in the flesh? I live in Kilmarnock so ideally somewhere in the central belt would be good.

Thanks,
    Craig.

2. Lau Guest

I wouldn't rely on Scotsys for this – I've been a few times a week or two after announcements and they don't have it in (and have been woefully unaware of the fact there is a new model :(). It's worth phoning them though – their new store in Edinburgh is very posh and they might be trying to make an effort, so they may have them in. If I'm passing tomorrow I'll have a look.

3. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Hi there,

Scotsys in Great Western Road, Glasgow have them in I believe. Or you could come to my place to see one ;)

David

4. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

You can't trick me. There are no computers in Scotland.

5. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Actually there is. Oh and Scotsys in Glasgow DO have them in.

6. Lau Guest

That post you refer to, my dear boy, is an example of something called humour. You should look it up. ;)

7. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Okay, I'll rephrase. You can't trick me. There are no computers in Aberdeen.

8. craig1410 thread starter macrumors 65816

craig1410

Thanks Guys, I'll give Scotsys a try tomorrow. I actually emailed them earlier this evening as I thought they were the best bet. I'll give them a call in the morning and ask if it's okay to come and have a look.

I tried PC World in Glasgow (Braehead) the day after the release and they didn't have a clue what I was talking about. To make it worse they said that they had heard that Apple were releasing a "Dual Core" version at which point I pointed to the sign next to the old iMac which said "Core 2 Duo"...:rolleyes:

I'll post later if I get any joy at Scotsys.
    Cheers,
    Craig.

9. craig1410 thread starter macrumors 65816

craig1410

Hi,
    Just a quick follow-up question - What difference does it make in practice if I buy my Mac from Scotsys compared to buying from the Apple online store? Apart from the obvious delivery time, does it make any difference to warranty, support or anything else? For example, if I call Apple up for Applecare support, does it cause any complications? Also, does the price vary much from the Apple store price?

Thanks,
    Craig.

10. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Jhon lewis in Edinburgh have them and you get a free extra year warrenty form them. My mini was a pound cheeper than apple.com and came with a 2 year warrenty standard.

11. craig1410 thread starter macrumors 65816

craig1410

Hi,
    Thanks for that - do you think the 2 year warranty means you don't need Apple Care or would you still take Apple Care anyway? I know Apple Care gives you a 3 year warranty but being a computer consultant (albeit this is my first Mac) I don't think I would use the telephone support aspect of AppleCare very much.

I think I'll try calling the John Lewis in Glasgow and see if they have any in stock before setting off for Edinburgh. Can I assume they are on display at JL in Edinburgh? I really need to evaluate the (in)famous glossy screen.

Cheers,
    Craig.

12. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Well i seen them when i was there yesterday when i was looking at the macbook pro's. Personaly i think a 2 year warrenty is more than enough to get any teething problems sorted out, after that just use your insurance and get a newer model if it dies.

13. craig1410 thread starter macrumors 65816

craig1410

Strange - I just called the Glasgow store and then the Edinburgh store and was told that they only have the 2.16GHz model (ie. old iMac) in stock. I don't doubt that you saw them but maybe they only have a demo model at the moment or something like that. Who knows?

Anyway, I'm heading off to the Glasgow ScotSys and will call at John Lewis too if Scotsys don't have any.

Thanks,
    Craig.

ps. I agree with your thoughts on the warranty - will give it some thought.

14. craig1410 thread starter macrumors 65816

craig1410

Hi,
    Just been to Scotsys in Glasgow and I can confirm that they have 24" iMac's in stock. When I arrived they had 2 left in stock and when I left they only had 1....:D

Typing this post on my new shiny iMac and let me tell you, it is simply stunning! All the fuss about the glossy screen is 100% a non-issue for me - it is beautiful! My wife and kids all agree too which is good!

Scotsys are selling them at £1149 for the base 24" model which is the same as the Apple store so I thought why not? I have heard a few negative stories about Scotsys and I actually asked them about this. The guy I dealt with was a very nice young man called Peter and he couldn't have been more helpful or professional. He's worked there for 2 months and has never heard of any major customer complaints. Don't get me wrong, I'd expect him to say that but there was a sincerity in his tone which suggested he was being truthful. He also said that they regularly get customers referred to them from Apple, John Lewis and PC World for support, even when they have AppleCare.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
    Craig.

15. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Post pics of it in the "Post Your Mac Setup: Past & Present!" thread. :)

16. ascender macrumors 68000

I hate dealing with Scotsys since they went to a central phone system instead of being able to talk to the stores. I needed to pick up an Airport Extreme Base Station yesterday so phoned to check stock in the Edinburgh store. I also asked about the new iMacs and was told that they didn't have any in yet for demo or for sale but should do soon.

Pitched up to get the Airport to find out that they had new iMacs for demo and small numbers still left for sale.

17. craig1410 thread starter macrumors 65816

craig1410

Will do once I've tidied things up a bit. At the moment I'm transitioning from my Linux PC to the iMac so it's a bit of a maze of cables and old PC peripherals. I want it looking nice when I take a pic. :)

Cheers,
    Craig.

I can understand why you were frustrated but so far, in my own experience, I couldn't fault them. Very painless buying experience. When I phoned the main 0845 number I got through to Bellshill HQ but by pressing 1 for Glasgow or 2 for Edinburgh you can get through to the local store. I must say that nobody answered so I drove up on spec. I'm still waiting on someone returning my voicemail... If they do then I'll certainly be having a word about telephone responsiveness.

Cheers,
    Craig.

18. ascender macrumors 68000

Thanks for the info about being able to get through to the specific stores. I find the actual staff great to deal with, but there's been two separate occasions last year where the 0845 staff were supposed to get back to me with price & availability about stuff but never bothered, so that's why I'm kind of loathe to call them for anything these days.

19. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Yeah, I really like their new store. The old one had weirdly shaped apple logos all over the place!:D
    Yet I don't know about giving them a ring, because I went to pay them a visit and to ask about my iPod Screen (That is full if dust and scratches...:()
    and one of the guys said : "hmmm... I dunno let me consult with ma colleges here..." and they sorta muttered so...

I'm going to NY soon...I can't wait to go to the 5th avenue store!!:D

20. Daniel75 macrumors member

21. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I know there's gonna be a new one opening in Buchanan Street...

22. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It's being fitted out currently. Originally it was going to open in July but I guess there have been some delays in the construction. It should open in the next 2-3 months I'd guess.

23. craig1410 thread starter macrumors 65816

craig1410

Hi Pete,
    I told you I'd put in a good word for you didn't I. I look forward to receiving my cheque! ;)

No seriously, when I came in I wasn't expecting you to have any iMac's available for purchase and I was planning to buy from the Apple store anyway, partly because I fancied a 500GB BTO option. I was very impressed with the way you conducted yourself and you actually sold the machine to me without even trying. I'm planning to buy an external drive anyway so I'll just get a slightly bigger one. Should come in handy with Leopard for Time Machine.

Hopefully my experience shows that, if Scotsys did historically have some customer service issues in the past then these have been addressed. That's certainly what your colleague Jamie seemed to be trying to do.
    Keep up the good work!

Craig.

24. peterus macrumors newbie

yeh i know, i've been having a look through the past forums,getting a bit of a kicking are they ( justified perhaps!) well hopefully things are changing!
    yeh i'm waiting to see how great my student loan is this year to see if i can upgrade my macbook to a macbook pro 2.4ghz, 4gb so here's hoping! how you finding the keyboard?!
    hopefully see you back in the shop

25. craig1410 thread starter macrumors 65816

craig1410

I hope so - it often only takes on bad apple (pardon the pun...) to damage the reputation of a company but on the other hand it can often take just one good guy to break the cycle. Here's hoping.

Remember with those student loans you've still got to pay them back later. On the other hand my motto was always to spend it while you're alive 'cause it's no use to you when you're dead! I'll look out the number of my debt councillor for you! ;)

The keyboard is fine - a bit strange at first due to the limited travel of the keys and the flatness of them but I find myself typing every bit as fast as before and possibly even faster. Some keys are in unusual places like @ and " but I'll get used to that quickly. What may take longer is getting used to the whole single mouse button thing and the prolific use of the Command key.

I got XCode installed last night and built a full Ruby On Rails web development stack from source code. I've also installed TextMate and Firefox so I'm getting things sorted. Even managed to connect to my Linux server so I can access my files. I'm not going to bother with boot camp just yet but I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Cheers,
    Craig.