Any new MacPro in the pipeline?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pale9, Oct 8, 2009.

1. pale9 macrumors regular

pale9

i am in the market for a quad core macpro. just wondering if there were any rumors about impending new macpros coming soon....

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I wouldn't expect new one before Q2 2010 because there are no new CPUs coming out before

3. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Hellhammer is right. The only viable possibility here is Apple putting out a 3.1~3.3GHz unit for an extra grand or whatever, if not a price drop on the 2.66 unit - I don't see either happening, right now.

4. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

the mac pro is the one Apple computer I would buy right now...no rumors of any updates..Well, maybe the Air.

5. pale9 thread starter macrumors regular

pale9

6. pale9 thread starter macrumors regular

pale9

getting a quad core 2.66 from amazon today. price 2299, no tax, free shipping (with amazon prime). looks like a great deal. ordered 2x2gb rams from other world computer for about 100 bux, so in the end i will have 6gb and 1gb that i can sell.

2 questions: is there a built in microphone? built in speaker useable?

7. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

no mic, build in speaker are only good for warnings

8. tri3limited macrumors 6502

average of 7.7 months between updates... It's been 7 so it wouldn't surprise me if there was an update of sorts. Maybe a new graphics option and slight processor bump. Maybe small price changes for the extras but I don't see them lowering the price of either base model.

Would be nice if they added some SLi support or CrossFire... Not expecting that at all though as it would compete with the quadro in terms of price.

I've been advised to hold out for 'a few weeks' by one of apple's people in the uk. We'll see soon enough though. I'm expecting a November event with silent updates to the Pros.

9. G4DP macrumors 65816

Sorry but you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. It is an average of over 12 months between Mac Pro updates.

August 2006, January 2008 then the update at the beginning of the year.

If you're going by the buyer guide then ignore it. It is totally out of date and included updates to the PowerMac's. As Hellhammer said it will be March April next year a the earliest. Probably a higher chance of WWDC10.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Whatever happened to the days of the Powermac where the tower started at $1600, Quicksilver:( Apple needs another Quicksilver..mid grade tower etc. Oh well.

11. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

They already have a mid-grate tower. The Mac Pro classifies in that category perfectly - even though the 2009's are priced considerably above "mid-grade". The octad 2.93 is even on the high side of mid-grade.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

Well put. :) And they're crippled to boot (DIMM slots, PCB traces for the HDD bays data transfer, ICH10R is throttled,...).:eek: :p

13. makktrakker macrumors newbie

14. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

If that was comming there is no reason they would almost certainly have already done it. 3.2GHz processors were around when they launched and 3.33GHz Xeons have been around for 2 months.

15. Keebler macrumors 68030

I'm interested b/c iras periodically checking the refurb site and there was always a few models.

Now that I'm ready to buy, I've only seen 1 model over the last 5 days.

I don't have official stats, but Ive noticed quantities have gone down on that site before updates. I would expect maybe a processor upgrade.

16. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Buy a 2,26 GHz Octad and a pair of W5590s and do the upgrade yourself. You will likely get it cheaper or same price as the 2,93 GHz from Apple.

17. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

I'm waiting until we get the 6 & 12 core 32nm models next year.

18. Bartman01 macrumors regular

Based on the current rumors, there is a possibility that Apple will again get first crack at the new Intel processors. Good news is that the new Mac Pros may be available before Q2. Bad news is that once again Apple may price the units based on the initial scarcity/exclusivity of the processors and leave their prices unjustifiably high once costs come down like they have with the current models.

19. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

The macpros cost have spiraled upwards so dramatically,that I think apple is going to resort to the marketing stunts and make the lineup consist of 4core,6core and 12 core models.
    That way they could advertize that "Now Macpros starting from 2299$!!!" and leaving out that 6/12 cores will be 4 & 6k+...
    And they will tamper the 4 core so that you cant upgrade it later either...

20. Bartman01 macrumors regular

21. shawmanus macrumors member

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/10/14/apple.may.get.early.use.of.gulftown.xeon/

22. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

We know how to fit the W3390 CPUs to the 2009 Mac Pro. The only way to do it is actually done by destroying an automatic coupling of the heat sink instrumentation. This will definitely invalidate Apple care. So at least that claim is bogus. I would even think that a CPU exchange would invalidate Apple care.

23. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

Aren't there enough threads about this topic in this forum?