Any new option for 30" monitors?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fiatlux, Jan 12, 2010.

1. fiatlux macrumors regular

I feel a bit constrained with my 20" wide Philips monitor and now that I have a MacPro, I consider going to a 30" screen (a 24-27 monitor is only going to give me a modest bump in resolution - I currently run at 1680x1050). I use my MacPro for photo retouching. I never watch videos or play games on my computers.

I was surprised to see that there had been very few 30" monitors being recently introduced, the Dell 3008 being the exception.

The HP LP3065, LG W3000, Samsung305T... have all been introduced some 3 years ago and are often no longer available.

I am currently considering a LG W3000 which I found at a very good price (~1000€) or an Apple Cinema Display 30. Surprisingly, the Dell 3008 is much more expensive over here in Belgium (2400€).

I wouldn't mind a 27" display if it had the same resolution as the new iMac, but I doubt Apple would release such a monitor. They would have a hard time pricing it between the current 24" LED display and the 27" iMac.

2. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I have the 3065 and it's spectacular... and available at Amazon right now. I don't have anything of value to add to your search except that as since I have one I'm no longer looking, but good luck in your hunt.

3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I've been going through this over the last several months. I would have loved a 30" screen, but Apple's really needs to be updated. I also like Dell 3008, but at that price I can almost get a 27" iMac, which includes a computer. But I don't really need another computer. Aaaaah! Decisions, decisions.... Anyway, I just purchased today a refurbished Apple 24" LED display. :)

Good luck with your search!

4. Winters macrumors member

You can find the dell for much cheaper than that in europe. Did you check at the english shops like overclockers.co.uk? They have the dell 3008 for like 1300€ if you look a bit more I m sure you can find it for even cheaper.