Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ferris4469, Apr 4, 2010.
I'm hoping for closer to April 16th than May 1st but I'm not optimistic...
I've also got one on pre, so I understand... I'm 'assuming' three weeks from now, only because if it was closer, there's no reason we wouldn't know something now (or why separate them in the first place). They had to know that the radio was going to take longer to roll out in major quantities or, both would have been this weekend. (Or they want to stagger them for PR purposes and stock purposes... not that there's anything wrong with that!)
I've read that they can't be even pre-ordered without FCC approval, so if it's not stock/PR, it must be a production issue. From the tear-down photos, it looks like: plug in the 3G card, use the different back-shell for the antenna to radiate, and you are done. So... has to be production of the backshell or the radio module.
I vote for 4/24 +/- 1
Do we want to start a pool?
Oh, answering your question, uh, no. I don't think we'll hear until the website has an update. Late april is technically, what, two weeks?
Delay Because of AT&T ?
I was thinking of something this morning....
Do you think they had 3G with a later date to give AT&T more time to get their network in order? Maybe they figured many early adopters would ultimately decide that cannot wait and choose WiFi instead, leaving only hardcore 3G users patient enough to wait the extra 3 to 4 weeks.
I'm thinking about canceling my pre-order and just picking one up at the store instead.
Since it seems like EVERYONE purchaed a WiFi, I'm thinking there will be plenty to pick up at the store, and since I'm only home 8 days a month, it would be easier for me to just go to the Apple Store wherever I'm working.
Please, Apple, surprise us!!
The problem is, we really don't know anything... :
Is it a supply issue with the radio module?
Is it an artificial 'spread out' to spread demand? To boost stock price? (Fine with me, I'm a stockholder...) To decrease the lines in the store? Support calls?
Is it because of something else?
I always thought, because they got the deal with AT&T (no contract, on demand sign-up), that the whole thing had to have a concrete reason. Ideally, all of these would have the 3G radio, and we would sign up whenever we wanted, if we ever did, and the price wouldn't be this ridiculous $130. I've seen estimates of $10 for the parts for the 3G. Okay, perhaps the module and the additions aren't that low, perhaps $30. But I think we'd all like to have every iPad have 3G capability since we don't have to have a contract!
If it's not 'FCC Approval', and I'm told it's not, I don't have a clue.
NOW, for AT&T: Why would they care? Most people are getting 3G for the case when they need it. Most of the time, they won't be using 3G. They will be inside. Using WiFi.
I ordered my original 3G unit to cover the case that I take it on vacation, or elsewhere where I need the outside coverage. Then I gave up and purchased another unit for work this weekend where I'm always under the WiFi umbrella. (I know if I only had one unit, I'd get sick and tired of carrying it back and forth... )
My point is, I can't see AT&T doing anything in a couple of weeks for the number of iPads that are not using WiFi.
Do we think there are that many people who are purchasing iPads who don't have WiFi and are going to use 3G 24/7? I'll tell you, any time I use 3G on my iPhone, I am very unhappy.
A good guess would be april 24
Im tempted to cancel my order and get a wifi as well - but im trying to hold out... it is killing me though!
I know the feeling! Especially after I went yesterday and got the chance to use one for 20 minutes. After that, I realized how much I wanted one and how important it was to have 3G so I would have access all over all the time. That helped me to know I need to just wait!