Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abdul

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
East Midlands, UK
i remember reading an article which said that openoffice.org are release a mac native version of openoffice. i went to their website and all they got is an X11 version for the mac.

has anybody heard anything about this? are they actually going to release a mac osx version or not? and if they are when is it going to be released?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Yeah, I'm wondering too.
I have the OpenOffice for X11 installed, and it does work, but it would be so nice if it were ported to Aqua.
NeoOffice is one port, but it's extremely buggy....

Think it will stay free though?

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I've heard rumors of Apple using openoffice to adapt into their own office suite, but if you ask me, if they ever did that, I can almost certainly say they will charge for it. Considering that Microsoft charges hundreds for their office suite and most others are still in the $200+ range, it'd just be too good to be true to have an Apple-level Office free of charge. Apple may be an awesome company, but they are a business, and as the saying goes, "Business means money".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.