any news about the new Mac Book Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gitia59, Dec 13, 2009.

1. gitia59 macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I would like to buy a Mac Book Pro 17, but since I don't need it by Christmas, I could wait for the new family. Does anybody know when they will be announced? At MacWorld in January?
    Thanks in advance,

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

No one knows when they will be announced. Apple will not be at macworld anymore.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/12/16macworld.html

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Rumors say January. Most likely a faster processor and a larger hard drive.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nobody truly knows and the rumors regarding apple wanting an arrandale chip sans integrated gpu means it could mean a longer wait as well.

5. JaZzMaN251 macrumors regular

JaZzMaN251

Do you think there will be 4gb ram upgrade in the low-end 13" MBP too?

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Nobody knows except apple, who are we to answer? Wait and see.

7. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

... You can do that yourself...

8. prodigee macrumors 6502a

I think he means if it will become the new standard, kind of like how 4gb is the standard in high end 13"...

9. jmazzamj macrumors regular

I'm also in the market for a new MacBook Pro (13"-15" base model) and I think they will only get a minor speed bump (likely 2.4 and 2.66 respectively) and larger HD. I also think that higher-end models (15"-17") will get a Core i5 chip along with an Ati discrete video card.

I also hope that 15" models will get Express Card slot back (perhaps 2.0) but I don't really think this will be the case.

Just my 2 cents.

10. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I think we're at least one more refresh away from seeing Arrandale's or any variant of quad's in any of the MBP's...

11. DavidG328 macrumors regular

I hope there's something soon. I'm waiting until the last minute, probably around the 10th of January before I buy something. If there isn't a slight processor boost somewhere around there I may end up getting the base iMac with the extra 4GB of RAM...then just track down an old Powerbook G4 like I had for writing papers away from home.

12. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

As history will show, the new MacBook Pro updates will most likely come late-January to Mid-Feb.

Again, don't expect anything ground breaking. It will probably be the typical "Slightly faster processor, bigger HD, a slightly better battery life".

Personally, if they announced a simple spec update; I would try to look for clearance June 2009 MacBook Pros and save myself $200-400.

13. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I think we'll see Arrandale in the high-end models. The 13" may just see a cpu speed bump, given that Arrandale's IGP is not as good as the current Nvidia 9400. The high-end models can use a discrete GPU.

14. Ctt713 macrumors member

So are you saying there's a decent to high chance of another spec bump at the WWDC in June? I know that the iPhone is usually refreshed then anyway.

15. idesign245 macrumors 6502

June 2009, as in the current models release date.

16. flanamac macrumors 6502

MB Pro fine as it

I have a 17 inch unibody MB Pro on SL. I find it perfect as is. It handles all my software and I have been able to configure its hardware for my needs (e.g. 8GB RAM, and additional hard drive via optibay).

If I were the OP, I would find a good refurbished model via Apple store and not wait for the new ones.

Even SSDs will come down in price and can easily be installed, so that shouldn't be a criterion for a new one.

17. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

be nice to see a decrease in SSD price for sure.

id like to see quad chips put into the high end 17" and possibly even a way to use the video output as input as well for devices that could utilize it.
    similar functions & features of the iMac 27".
    hell even 16gb of memory would be nice too :p

18. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I too am waiting for a MBP update. I was all set to get a 13" but after just starting a new job doing graphics design, I have swayed to the 15". I won't have the money til the beginning of January (student loan :D) so won't be able to buy til then anyway, although I have decided to wait for the refresh.

In my opinion, even if it's just a speed bump, I have a general dislike to paying the same for a computer that someone paid 6 months ago, so that's the only reason I'm waiting. If the refresh is only a slight speed bump (2.66GHz vs 2.53GHz), I don't mind, as long as it's updated :)

19. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Give you a little hint man...

Apple won't be using the new chipset untill Intel releases it.. and they won't be installing them in the Mac, until the MBP 17 is due for renewal... Which by the way, isn't at the beginning of the year - Out of all the Mac Portables the MacBook Pro 17" is the last to be updated, usually after the MacBook Pro 15 and MacBookPro 13"

At the moment, I reckon Apple will only boost the processing speed...

20. Tienenaar macrumors newbie

Tienenaar

Have been in the local apple shop this weekend for a few books. Just asked inbetween asking other things if he knew when the new macbook pro's would be released. He said, wait till mid februari, something is coming by then. So lets hope he was right.
    I'll be getting me a 17" macbook pro then :cool:

21. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

He has no more information than the people on this forum, and probably less.