Any news on the 5k Retina Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Zooloo71, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Zooloo71 macrumors newbie

I am needing a second monitor to support my 5k Retina iMac. I am reluctant to purchase the current Thunderbolt display as I know if I do Apple will then launch the 5k Retina version. Does anyone know if Apple will launch this in the very near future??

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

It is not possible for the iMac to drive a second 5K screen, so you can rest assured that they won't release one you can use.

3. mfram macrumors 65816

Running a 5K display with a single cable will require Thunderbolt 3. Which you don't have on your computer because it won't come out until next year. So even if they did make a 5K external display, you don't have the computer to drive it unless they come up with a multi-cable solution for older computers. That may or may not happen.

4. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

https://www.reddit.com/r/macsetups/...d_10k_in_action_imac_with_retina_5k_display/?

Next year? They'll be out with new skylake machines in the coming months.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2976...nd-better-screens-but-oddly-lack-skylake.html

5. joscejrod macrumors 6502

joscejrod

Apple has to release a new screen asap...the Thunderbolt display is suppose to be the best display that they can offer to join the Mac Pro, its best computer. BUT when you visit an Apple store and you see a Thunderbolt display near to an imac(5k or not), the thunderbolt display looks like garbage. A big air gap between glass and leds, a lot of reflection, bad view angles, and washed out colours. This is ridiculous, and it cost 1149!!
    Please Apple, release a good display, worthy to accompany the superb Mac Pro, worthy to deserve the name of "apple display". Thanks.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Either that or have the balls to tell the market no more Apple Thunderbolt Displays.

7. thedeske macrumors 6502a

They have been telling us. Just not the way we prefer ;)

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I've posted about this before, but I sense that Apple has quietly withdrawn from the display business (the existing Thunderbolt display notwithstanding).

They did the same with the Mac printer business years and years ago.

I'd be very surprised to see them market a new display of any kind.

9. Stacc macrumors 6502a

Maybe, but one of the things that is still relatively unique to Apple are the retina displays. I think its been more an issue of Apple waiting for the technology to do it the way they want. This probably includes a 5k display and thunderbolt 3 connection. Apple includes displays on the majority of macs sold, so releasing a standalone display isn't as far of a departure from the rest of their products as a printer is.

10. joscejrod macrumors 6502

joscejrod

We'll see a new one sooner that you could expect!

11. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Bad viewing angles and washed out colors? It uses the same panel as the non-retina iMac. Other than the non-retina resolution it's still a nice display.

They're just waiting for low enough prices for 5k panels and TB3. Mark my words, it will happen.

They would've discontinued the TBD by now if they didn't want to be in the display business.

12. joscejrod macrumors 6502

joscejrod

No, it doesn't use the same panel that non-retina imac. Since late 2012, Apple sells an imac with full laminated display and much better specifications (less reflections, much better colour fidelity, higher contrast...). Please compare that screen with actual thunderbolt display. Please compare that screen with actual thunderbolt display.
    New screen is going to be awesome!!