Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Beatles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
I've been waiting for ages, I'm limping by with my mini, and i'm putting off learning software that requires a better computer. I know the Pros are due for an upgrade. Im considering going to the dark side, at this point, theres nothing holding me to the mac. Will I have access to faster pro machines in the PC world? I just can't wait for Apple anymore. I've said this before and didnt switch so maybe i'll hang in there, but I'd really like to get a new machine to raise the ceiling on what i'm capable of computing.

Orange™

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
Welcome to Mac Rumors!!! :)

It's completely up to you, but I know that I won't be going back anytime soon! I understand your frustration, but just have some faith. Is there anyway that you could use an i7 iMac for your work? Miles ahead of the mini, and approximately the same as a quad-core mac pro.

Anyway, no word as of yet, but Intel said late June is when the chips will be mass produced so any Tuesday now. :eek:

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Anyway, no word as of yet, but Intel said late June is when the chips will be mass produced so any Tuesday now. :eek:
The article/s that referred to a shortage were talking about the Distributor Channels (companies that buy in small quantities have to go this route).

This isn't an issue from vendors that get their CPU's Directly from Intel however, such as Dell, HP, and Apple. Quantities, shipping dates, and pricing are set in contracts, and it's in Intel's financial interest to meet these contracts on time (penalties are set in the contract for failure to meet contract conditions).

Other vendors have had shipping systems for awhile now, as there wasn't nearly as much work involved vs. a system using new architecture (i.e. when Nehalem showed up; Gulftowns are a die shrink and couple of additional cores on specific P/N's parts is all).

The Beatles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
So chances are, if apple gets the chips from intel this june, they'll release something...

I hope so. The last thing I'd want to do is deal with a PC. Im not much of a computer enthusiast. More of an artist, but I've needed a new system for a long time. Im going to be running after affects and also making large trade show graphics. Sometimes the PSD trade show graphics can get to be over 2 gigs in size. I'd take an iMac but I really need a good graphics card, scratch disks, loads of ram, and dual chips. Time is money, and in the field of creativity, being able to explore multiple avenues is a huge benefit.

Thanks for the info on the expected release of june as far as chips go. Maybe we'll see something this summer.

SnoFlo

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2010
Well I haven't bothered to wait: I bought the 2.66 quad last week and I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival. I'm sure it will do what I need it to do just fine.

Techhie

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2008
The hub of stupidity
So chances are, if apple gets the chips from intel this june, they'll release something...

Like nanofrog said, they have access to the chips right now. The reason behind the delay is up for interpretation, but I suspect it to be the result of either a redesign or stall for better bulk pricing.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Like nanofrog said, they have access to the chips right now. The reason behind the delay is up for interpretation, but I suspect it to be the result of either a redesign or stall for better bulk pricing.

The new Mini has me thinking there is more to this delay than CPUs.

Deepshade

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
The new Mini has me thinking there is more to this delay than CPUs.

I have to agree. Putting the same case design out (again) after all these years would be out of context with everything else that seems to be happening with Apples' current product design direction.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

I'd love to see what Apple could think up for a Mac Pro case redesign after seeing the new Mac Mini :cool:

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
I'd love to see what Apple could think up for a Mac Pro case redesign after seeing the new Mac Mini :cool:

was my second thought after seeing the new mini (the first was - holy cow I think I need to lie down or see a doctor cos I just had a flush moment over a computer...) ;)

If they add some of that fresh design magic - I'll be happy (as long as it still has room for four HDDS - perhaps they will add a couple of 2.5" bays ?

Might be nice to see them add a higher version with 4 x SMP (that might shut the performance needs up) sorry going on speculating here.....

/Bunneh shuts teh hell upsie now ;)

inaka

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010
Welcome to the forum. Nice screen name. However, it's starting to look like The Beatles will have a new album out before the new Mac Pro is released...

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I think there will for sure be a re-designed case. The iMac, 24 inch LED display, and Mac Mini all have a black Apple logo on them now. My guess is there will be a black Apple logo on the Mac Pro. With so many people starting to go to SSDs, I would love to see a 2.5 inch bay in the new Mac Pro!

Techhie

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2008
The hub of stupidity
Any aesthetic changes are usually complimented with a component rearrangement, and through that process we may see the introduction of "upgrades."

I wouldn't bet on anything too radical, considering it makes financial sense for Apple to maintain the same logic board design, at least for Gulftown.

Mactrunk

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
I'm happily humming along on the ancient 2008 eight core.
I'll be ready to buy a new one in 2012.
I'm not chasing the ultimate performance.
I love the stability.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
You haven't heard? Mac pro will be released on a Tuesday.

Well at least Apple releases new products on Tuesdays most of the time. Can you imagine the angst here if Apple didn't release new stuff on any particular day of the week? :eek:

The new Mini also has me optimistic that the delay may be because of a new case design. As long as there aren't fewer expandability options I'm OK with that. However if there is a new case it might make sense to wait a few weeks before ordering to see if there are any issues. New case could equal cooling, noise, vibration problems initially.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Any aesthetic changes are usually complimented with a component rearrangement, and through that process we may see the introduction of "upgrades."

I wouldn't bet on anything too radical, considering it makes financial sense for Apple to maintain the same logic board design, at least for Gulftown.

This was my thinking before seeing the Mini. They certainly didn't need to completely re-engineer the Mini to add a different GPU, but that's exactly what they did. So who knows.

goodEYEDsniper

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2010
Iowa
I think there will for sure be a re-designed case. The iMac, 24 inch LED display, and Mac Mini all have a black Apple logo on them now. My guess is there will be a black Apple logo on the Mac Pro.

I have a good feeling that there is going to be a new case. I mean they have used the same one for how many years? The new body will probably have some black on it, not just all aluminum finish. Also, probably a SD card slot since every mac now has them and hopefully we will get an HDMI port like the mini did.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I have a good feeling that there is going to be a new case. I mean they have used the same one for how many years? The new body will probably have some black on it, not just all aluminum finish. Also, probably a SD card slot since every mac now has them and hopefully we will get an HDMI port like the mini did.

An SD card slot is possible for sure. However HDMI will not be standard as that's a function of the graphics card (which is not integrated in the Mac Pro as it is on the Mini) and few if any discrete graphics cards have HDMI outputs. Besides, why would you want HDMI on a Mac Pro?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008

A new case is a possibility (could explain why the Gulftown's are late), and doing it now saves the initial R&D hit in a Tick part of the cycle (new architecture, which is on the expensive side). It definitely makes financial sense IMO. They'd only need to re-work the internals as needed for newer boards, just as they did with the Nehalem boards in the existing case design (same externals, but modified internals to accomodate the design changes from previous boards).

As per Gulftowns, yes, the boards will be the same. It's stupid financially not to.

wa5655

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2010
A new case is a possibility (could explain why the Gulftown's are late), and doing it now saves the initial R&D hit in a Tick part of the cycle (new architecture, which is on the expensive side). It definitely makes financial sense IMO. They'd only need to re-work the internals as needed for newer boards, just as they did with the Nehalem boards in the existing case design (same externals, but modified internals to accomodate the design changes from previous boards).

As per Gulftowns, yes, the boards will be the same. It's stupid financially not to.

Do you expect the memory speed remains the same?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.